Koura

Ianab

Caught this little fellow in the stream down in the garden on Monday. Booted the Bristlenose and a couple of guppies from the little tank, took out the heater and dropped him in.

He seems to have settled in fine, fed him a pea last night. He has excavated a pile of gravel from under the log to make a better hiding spot and seem happy.

koura4.jpg

koura3.jpg

Ian

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How long is he?

About 7cm I guess, a decent size. The neighbours little footbridge had washed away in a flashflood and was sitting under my steel bridge. When I went down to fish it out for him there were two of these hanging on it. I was able to grab this one :)

Ian

yeah I know all that. Heaps of rocks and plants.

They were eating earth worms, neither seemed to like peas.

I have a huge filter and a strong spray bar so the water is well filtered and recycled.

The freshwater shrimp are doing great.

So I don't know what I could be doing wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

Update, he seems to be doing well, has become a lot braver.

Eats Sera vipachips and Wardly pleco tablets, pounces on them as soon as they hit the bottom.

Has stopped excavating too, but only because it reached the bottom of the tank :roll:

koura5.jpg

koura6.jpg

Cheers

Ian

Heir, I suspect your crays weren't interested in peas because they were being fed earthworms! Happy crays ;) Are you tempted to get another no you know it was probably the water conditioner that was the problem before?

I have to feed peas directly into the hands of my cray and even then the kokopu still try to steal it from him! Never trust a full insectivorous fish when there is a pea nearby... :roll:

Ianab, when they are happy with their caves they stop excavating. Is that the whole bottom of the tank visible in that pic? If you are able to fit more things in there so he can be completely hidden he will probably stop excavating.

Cool that he is doing so well otherwise.

Ianab, when they are happy with their caves they stop excavating. Is that the whole bottom of the tank visible in that pic? If you are able to fit more things in there so he can be completely hidden he will probably stop excavating.

Cool that he is doing so well otherwise.

He has excavated quite a cave under the little logs, it has 3 exits and seems to give him good cover. But another lump of driftwood is a good idea. I may set up a bigger coldwater tank once I get my new tanks set up, see how things go.

Ian

Should be, that one is doing fine in a 20l.

Look for smaller ones if you aren't sure. They only grow about 5mm per year, so it's going to take a while for them to outgrow the tank. I believe they start breeding at about 20mm (4 years old)

Ian

I would only have one per tank as they are highly inclined to eat each other. Maybe two very small ones in a 3-4 foot tank would be ok. They are bottom dwellers (obviously) and rummage a lot, so a lot of floor space is recommended. They are COOL pets. It would be neat having just one in a tank as a pet.

With growth rates they grow fast when tiny then slower and slower as they get older. The northern one can breed in less than two years I think, but the southern one takes much longer, the southern one takes much longer to do anything... but also grows longer.... trying really hard not to say anything dodgy here....!

As for sending some down.... totally illegal (you need permits from DOC and MAF). Seriously take a torch down to a stream at night, you will be amazed at what you see! :)