Condolences to a Great Man

Wok

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A tough cookie that always gave a lot and had a real passion for fishkeeping. I remember him telling me that he was fascinated by killifish for decades and I'm sure he still is :) What a shock. He gave a great presentation on killies to our club just last year (I think). RIP Alan and thanks.

Alan was my best friend.

He worked hard right up to the end, breeding and careing for his fish and fullfiling his duty as the NZKA president with drive and passion. He was a mentor to me and many others who have been bitten by the killi keeping bug.

I will miss you mate.

Who's going to kick my butt now when it comes to getting the newsletter out on time?

My thoughts are with his family and everyone who knew him.

Tim

When I first saw this posting my immediate re-action was it had to be a joke.

Alan was an institution that was always going to be there, be it with a witticism, some good advice or just passing on valuable experience.

I still dont believe that he could possibly have been taken from us and send, on our personal behalf, and on behalf of the Taranaki Aquarium and pond Society our deepest sympathy to the family and our sincerest condolences to Fish keepers all who have lost a valuable mentor and mate.

Alan Now you will be able to keep all the fish you like with no government busybodies interferring.

Debby & Mitch and TAPS

Alan and myself joined the Killi Club at roughly the same time and after I gave up the fancy we never kept in touch as a PC was something that only NASA had.

My Daughter Shinal, brought home some guppys and that got me looking at Killis again and Alan "closed" the deal and I was back into it.

Over the next few weeks, Alan would get a couple of calls a week from me asking stupid questions and he offered help without hesitation.

I and Shinal, will miss Alan and his never ending knowledge and help that was so freely given.

The fancy will be a little worst off for his passing

:cry:

Not much i can say, words just dont come close to explaining what an awesome person Alan was. He did so much for others and the industry and that will definatly show in years to come not to mention providing hours of laughs for all those fortunate enough to blessed with knowing such a wonderful person.

You will be greatly missed :bow:

Farewell,

My fellow fish friend,

It’s time to rest,

Though ‘tis too soon.

Mentor they name you,

You’ve inspired, informed and taught,

From shore to shore,

The passion’s spread.

Master breeder I name you,

You’ve competed, strived, and caught,

The final score, they ask?

One-two-eight, my count.

A conference goer,

Wearing the hat of another,

One who’d gone before,

Sometimes stirring, always smiling.

A killi keeper,

That strange breed apart,

Small tanks, peat stains,

Ephemeral jewels contained.

You’ve hung your nets,

The mops are dry,

I bid you rest,

I say goodbye.

Rob the peom that you wrote is so much Alan thanks. I am really sad about losing a great friend like alan who i have know for many years. Always rember giving a compass so he could always find his way whaen he came to waikato meetings.

As national fishshow organiser i am going to in some way aknowledge Alan at the show . He is really going to be missed there but he is still entering about 20fish. Tim told me this afternoon that alan had organised a sign that will go on top of the NZKA stand with wording in the loving meriorie of Alan.

So sad you had to leave us so soon my friend and i hope that i can make the trip to whakatane to say goodbye on friday

Dave :cry::cry:

Wow... I didn't have any dealings with Alan but it was clear though his posts that he was a cut above the rest.

I hope his family sees all your messages and realise what a legacy he has left behind and how many lives he's touched and filled with a little bit of extra joy either through simple kindness or though the furthering and encouragement of the hobby.

His family is no doubt very proud of the man he was and hopefully one day find a small amount of solace in the fact that he will be remembered so deeply and fondly by so many people.

To Alan :hail::cry:

My condolences to Rose & the family. :(

I had the pleasure of a day with Alan. A lfs tour of Brissie, Beenleigh & Gold Coast, back to mine for a quiet. We managed to fit a day in.

200km plus of travel & the radio never came on once. Such a zest for life, his family, the fish hobby & sport. Gee we covered some topics, 9-10 hours of flowing conversations, spotting oddities in the fish hobby, but alias no Madagascan Lace Plant.

I still giggle to myself at one lfs. Alan with his broad Kiwi accent, Andrew{owner} & his very thick Polish accent. Me in the middle playing translator. :lol: 2 older pros telling stories, via a third party.... was an eye opener. The knowledge was mind blowing.

Alan left that lfs with the title, "Professor Alan."{A name reserved for a few fish geeks}

Alan made a lasting impression on myself. I feel lucky that I got to meet such a wonderful person, someone I called a friend.

May God Bless Alan. Rest in Peace. You will be sorely missed by all.

Frenchy :D

Alan was very knowlagable in this hobby his tips helped me immensely. The only episode I remember about him. Was when some one complained that his avatar was disturbing, He turned it off, but due to popular demmand turned it back on. He will be missed

what can i say, but he will be missed and was a legend in the hobby, long before i meet him i had herd stories and it took me some time to put them o getha about who he was, i will miss him and i know his family will be finding it very had but remember all of us are here for your suport...

when i meet alan i brought a cherry barb from where i was working he was so picky about wich one he wantded and taught me what to look for, and now when every i buy a fish i still look for the same things...

c ya m8

191103237430f4f7088b95.gif

I am so glad i had the honour of meeting Alan at the Conference this year. I can understand the impact he has had on so many lives. Such a beautiful and charming character. And what an asset he was to the killi club! Couldn't take "no" for an answer when recruiting for new members.

Would i be out of line in posting a photo i have of Alan here? I have a lovely photo of him smiling that i would like to share but would like to check that it is ok first.

That is a lovely picture, it is nice to put a face to the name! I only got to know Alan recently but I found him to be a very kind, generous and witty man. My condolences to all his many friends and family, he will be greatly missed.