Condolences to a Great Man

Wok

It is with great sadness that a very good friend and mentor to many on this site and to the NZKA that Young Alan Wakelin has passed away. :cry:

He has had a hard battle with cancer in the past few months, and like the battler he is, was smiling all the way... always looking on the bright side of life :D

Alan... where ever you maybe now... keep breeding them killies :wink::D

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

This is from Rose

"My darling Alan finally hung up his nets (he hated the term, passed over) last night, Tuesday 9th October, at 10-39pm, so peacefully. His battle so mightily fought and 1 day after his 66th birthday, and on the anniversary of his Mothers death, 35years ago. The children were here to share with me, his final breath, for which I am so grateful, as I would have been so frightened to have gone through this alone.

His Funeral will be on Friday 12th Of October at 2pm at the Whakatane Presbyterian Church , where we were married 43years 6 months and 13 days ago,Til death do us part."

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alan also got me into Killies, helped me out many times and always had the time to share some of his knowledge with me.

Always looked on the bright side and always had a joke to tell.

All the best to his family, Alan you will be missed greatly :(:(

What can one say about a guy that gave so much to the hobby and was prepared to help anyone in need.

There will be very few members here that have not been touched by his wisdom and knowledge of the hobby.

Deepest condolences Rose and family for your great loss.

He will be missed by everyone.

Bill.

Definitely going to miss you Alan.

Alan is one of the early members of this forum and a member of the core moderator group. Without him this site would not be what it is today. Alan was responsible for about 2.5% of the posts in this forum until today.

Condolences Rose and family for your loss.

This is quite a shock. It is indeed a sad time. Alan helped me so much, so often. Although, I never met him, I considered him one of my New Zealand friends. I will miss him :cry::cry::cry:

Prayers & condolences to his wife & family :(

Caper

Are you talking about Alan from here...his avatar was the little puppy thing????????

Caper

Yes, Caper, the licking dog with the blue background.

I admired Alan for his sense of humour, passion and enthusiasm for killies, or anything that took his fancy, espcially Rose. And his ability to talk incessantly about fish and his fishroom and eating lunch all at the same time.

In the immortal words of Herc, the Toyota dog - 'Bugger'

My condolences to a great man

I had the pleasure of meeting Alan and Rose when they visited Australia and I had a great time

Justin showed him around LFS of Gold Coast and Brisbane

The hobby has lost a great person today

His passion for fish was amazing

Its just so hard to imagine he has gone

Brad

:cry: My condolences towards this great man indeed.. :cry:

Although I had never met Alan himself, he was a great help to me and a very warm and welcoming member of FNZAS. The news that he has deceased shocks me greatly...

Alan was the first person that I spoke to when I joined.. with his cute little puppy avatar.. :cry:

Will definetly miss you Alan.

deepest sympathy to Rose and family

Alan was a great breeder and lover of fish someone who a newbie like myself looked up to with well over 100 species bred that is something special, Alan was always happy to share his knowlage and stories, He will be missed. RIP Alan :(

I've been away and without access to the Net so this was not the sort of news I was expecting on my return.

We first met Alan at the Dunedin conference in 1993 and we have had many a laugh, and disagreements, over the years. We even stayed with Alan and Rose once during our travels around the country and they looked after us well while proudly showing us their part of NZ (not to mention all the fish and tanks).

He will be missed by many and we have lost a very knowledgeable fishkeeper. :cry: