Long, funky and what the...?

Loopy

We had two inspectors arrive here from the North Islnd. We questioned them as to who checked the fish in quarantine before release for sale. They were the ones who informed us that it was vets. We made the suggestion of getting some one who knows alot about tropical fish to go as an advisor. Also mentioned about getting a list of the fish to be imported, doing some research and getting pics of various stages of growth development. This would give them a quick reference folder and should reduce the quantity of unknown fish entering our beautiful country.

Mr L

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been out of it for a while (not party pills) and someone more involved might be able to advise. The inspection used to be carried out by inspectors who could take samples and send them away if in any doubt. The problem is that you would need to know enough to have doubts and tropical fish would be a very small part of their days work.

no disrespect to Loopy, but we seem to have forgotten that it was coelacanth that positively identified them in the first place and brought up the illegality of the issue. The specimens that MAF have are apparently being sent to freshwater fish expert RM McDowell for a fast id.

I agree. I don't really give two hoots about who got it started. We both contacted MAF individually. And I am very grateful that we have such a knowledgable person on this forum to identify the eels for us. :hail:

I think others should learn by Coelacanth and my example and when anyone sees anything that may be a cause for concern DO SOMETHING!!!! :bow: Think of the advertising campaign they did on telly of the chemical spill and everyone just assumes that someone else will deal with it.

MAF are always more than happy to hear from the public. It is one of their main ways of being alerted to problems!

no disrespect to Loopy, but we seem to have forgotten that it was coelacanth that positively identified them in the first place and brought up the illegality of the issue. The specimens that MAF have are apparently being sent to freshwater fish expert RM McDowell for a fast id.

Well if Loopy had not have started this thred then coelacanth wouldn't have ID'ed them

AS both coelacanth and Loopy said

its not important who started it, its whats happening now

Wanted Ad Removed.

Adverts in Trading Areas Please.

Bill

Mod.

There's a shop down here that still seems to be selling them, and when my partner mentioned this thread and what they actually were, he didn't seem all that interested in doing to right thing :evil:

Loopy, do you have a contact phone number or name for the MAF ppl?

Hope no one minds if I field this question

My understanding is that it's not yet illegal for the shops to have them, they haven't been formally id'd yet. It's ethical for the shops to not sell anymore until further notice, but they can if they really want....

Bdspider has hit the nail on its head. We all hope the shops withdraw them untill further notice but it's their choice. Easy solution is DON'T BUY THEM atleast not at the mo.

MAF. Blue section of phone book under Government Department contacts.

As a result of this "thread" a local pet shop who has these "eels" acutally contacted the supplier to advise that they wheren't "glass Loaches". at the time he contacted the supplier the supplier was unaware that they where not loaches and immediatly got onto MAF who arrived within an hour to inspect. they have been quarrinted by MAF. the supplier advises that 1000 of these came into the country and when he contacted MAF he had 500 still, the rest had been sold to stores. the local pet shop has 30 of them and MAF has said to them we cannot stop you from selling them but we strongly request that you don't sell them and they have placed a "not for sale" sign on the tank. MAF will come and inspect next week.

We are of the same opinion. but at least they when called from the pet shop they did act on it (if they hadn't already) and got MAF involved at their end.

maybe if more pet shops and fishy people put pressure on the "importers" it will improve the communication and the hobby.

I asked a shop that i was in if they had any instock. They said that sold out of them, i proceeded to tell them that they where eels and they said they knew that. I told they that they where possibly illegal, their reply was "Lucky we sold out of them"

basically if shops are unaware of the eels' identity then they are in the clear. If they are selling them KNOWING what they are (and that they are probably illegal), either through this forum or because people have informed them of the fact, then they will be getting into trouble over it. That would be why sensible shop owners are holding them back until all is sorted. Good for the country, good for the shops.

Just a simple question to the ones in the Know:

How can an importer import fish with only a common name??

Anybody who imports seeds for example must have them labeled with the latin name. It is hard to believe that importers of fish do not have to supply a proper latin name.

I have been in touch with the importer (who contacted me actually).

The fish slipped through without proper identification. They were labelled as Glass Kuhli's (whether labelled with common or scientific name unknown). As these are very uncommon an assumption may have been nade that the fish was correct. At any rate a mistake was made.

Now that the quetion has been raised and the importer advised, the importer has contacted all shops sent these fish and told not to sell them. The species is currently undergoing a proper ID.

Once it is ID'd, a decision will be made whether the fish can be sold or not. If not, they will be destroyed. If they are destroyed, I would recommend all hobbyists who purchased these fish take them back to the shop for a refund. The shop can destroy them.

Currently, it's the importers responsibility to verify the species on the invoice is actually what was sent. If the person unpacking the fish does not have enough experience IDing fish then mistakes can easily be made. I'm not saying this has happened in this case, just that somehow these fish were marked as matching the invoice by mistake. The MAF inspector (currently vet's) only checks the invoice to make sure all listed species are on the allowed list. MAF is currently in no way responsible for actually visually checking the fish. Some may do this but it is not a requirement.

So, a simple honest mistake can very easily lead to a situation like we have here.

Once the species is properly identified and official update will be posted here.