Long, funky and what the...?

Loopy

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree the eels should be destroyed, and that will no doubt be MaF's position too. Many people out there will not agree with this but why risk our native eels for the sake of keeping what is essentially the same thing from another country?

Babies of the native eels can be found in any waterway (tiny streams are best because it is easier to catch them), and they grow quite slowly so can be obtained at any time of the year.

For something a little different , the spotted eel, originally from Aus but now established in NZ, is found in various parts of the North Island. Adults are brown with dark or black mottling. It could probably be kept in a tropical tank.

With the risk that these "eels" and even 'those-red-fish-we-do-not-discuss" can pose to our fantastic enviroment and NZ's reputation, I would be surprised if MAF is NOT investigating.

:bow:

Anyway a little fishy has told me to watch this space! :wink:

Biosecurity are currently investigating the matter. The outcome will be posted here for the benefit of all hopefully.

And yes I believe that if shops are selling the fish and KNOWING what that they are likely to be illegal (pending results) then they would have to be liable also. (My opinion!)

what I was meaning was AFTER they knew (of the shops that do know).

Otherwise the shops are innocent of wrongdoing, in that they were ordering "glass kuhlis" believing them to be actual loaches. The importer is the one at fault, because even if they brought them into the country unwittingly, they surely must have seen immediately that they weren't loaches when they arrived.

Again, My opinion!

I agree with coelacanth... if the shop is informed or realise that they are infact not loaches (kuhli loaches).. then I don't believe that they should be selling them.

My hubby (in LFS) won't be ordering any of these into the shop to sell simply because they are not what they have been labelled. If a shop knows then they should do the right thing and not sell them and keep them out the back till the matter is looked into by authorities and then go from there. Some shops may not even realise but I think anything that is brought into NZ and bought by LFS, they should then do their own homework with what they choose to get in to sell anyway :D So supplier and LFS are responsible if infact these continue to get distributed before the matter is addressed and the fate of these little fellows is decided.

JMO 8)

ultimately the importer must be held accountable as they are visually not a kuhli, and the importer nust have some knowledge of fish and what they are importing.

some other species have come into nz as young fish and they can be hard to tell apart from allowed species when immature

from the photo supplied they are definitely an eel species and to label these as Kuhlis, glass or otherwise was poor judgement, sadly this misnaming is then passed on to shops and then the customer.

Bio security is a necessity to protect our unique and fragile native species from the further introduction of unwanted organisms that could compete and maybe decimate them, I just wish that more knowledgable people in MoF were checking shipments when they came in and making our laws rather than unfeeling beaurecrats

I don't agree with some of the decisions that authorities make but is it not better to miss out on a few hobby species than to possibly lose what native species we have left

sadly this misnaming is then passed on to shops and then the customer.

Very true, yet if the shop did their homework after fish arriving and noticing they clearly do not look like a kuhli or loach of any kind, they should then not be sold on. So if shops buy them in and sell them knowing they are questionable then they are as bad as the supplier.

I totally agree that the importer should never have sent them to the shops - there is no way they would have thought they were loaches when they saw them.

But the shops have a responsibility too - I don't believe that any shop who sold these really thought they were loaches - if they did I'm sorry but I find it pretty unlikely.

If that is the case, and they sold them knowing they were some type of eel (which is, as well all know, pretty obvious!), then I think they should face up to the fact that when the crap hits the fan - they are the ones responsible for stopping new invasive species from getting into the country.

It doesn't seem like many are taking this responsibility very seriously...

Well done to your hubby though Afrikan :)

Well, thats it, ours are going out the back tomorrow until this mess can all be sorted, thankfully none have been sold. Hopefully someone contacts the stores soon so we know whats going on. I wasnt at work when they came in but when i saw them i thought they looked like tapeworm :lol:

Things get bought in all the time and slip thru the cracks, yes the importer 'should' know what theyre bringing in and MAF 'should' know what theyre letting out but i guess it just doesnt happen that way.

Well done Sharn and Afrikans hubby,

the main worry is some other people turn a blind eye some of the time, hopefully not through want of profit

but this sort of action can damage the hobby and give the wowsers even more ammunition to lobby the politicians and beaurecrats to cut the list of allowable importation species even more

less fish, less custom for shops maybe

COMMON SENSE MUST NOT BECOME AN ENDANGERED SPECIES