Long, funky and what the...?

Loopy

The fish slipped through without proper identification. They were labelled as Glass Kuhli's (whether labelled with common or scientific name unknown). As these are very uncommon an assumption may have been nade that the fish was correct. At any rate a mistake was made.

I'm confused by your statement here. "Glass kuhlis" are very uncommon? Pray tell us what a "glass kuhli" is. I've certainly never heard of one, and nothing has appeared in my searches for such a fish. It would appear instead to be a common name made up on the spot (by the exporters in Singapore) to fit these eels, in as much as they are transparent and elongated.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed in Living Waters that they had some written on the glass for sale and mentioned that it was a topic of conversation on the Fnzas forum as to what they really were, and She said that she'd heard that yes they were eels and lucky for her the Kulhi loaches that she already had eaten the "Glass Kulhi"!! :lol: :lol:

This is the latest we have heard, this is the reply I recieved from MAF today after I asked for an update.

"The suspect eels have been sent to a NIWA scientist for identification, and with the weekend and such I believe he only received them today."

• 3 weeks later...

MAF has destroyed 3 of these that somoeone i know bought. They are definately on the lookout for anyone else that has these fish. They said it is an eel probably come from asia and grows to at least 2 foot and is certainaly not something that would want to be released into the water ways.....they are probably keeping an eye on this thread too to find out who ese has them. :o

I hope they are. People who have the intention of keeping these that know what they are are very irresponsible. It doesnt matter if 'they will never get released', it is making responsible fish keepers look bad and give them even more reason to chop the lists down.

Not sure if we will get a visit at work or not from MAF, they did call us a few weeks back but i didnt speak to them.

• 2 weeks later...

MAF have rung stores (well i assume so, they rung us) and told us they will send out a pack. Not sure if it contains clove oil etc to euthaniase them or if we have to do it ourselves and have to send the bodies back to them.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

ummm... i been grave digging and found this... :digH:

positive ID is Pangio anguillaris

it is a close relitave to the kuhli loach

best thing about them is they are impossible to catch, worth buying a few if you see them just to watch the saleperson sweat :P

I couldn't see any barbels on the ones I have, but then again they don't sit still long enough to check.

had one for 6 months now and aside from about 1/2cm growth it hasn't changed into an eel yet,

what scared me more about this post was the prices, oh for the good old days.

should have taken about 5 minutes for the LFS to ring the importer and ask under what name it was imported under.

im surprised MAF didn't try this method

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen these fish for sale quite a bit in the past. They are a relative of the kuhli loach like F15hguy said.

There are a lot of Pangio sp. so it might not exactly be Pangio anguillaris, but maybe a similar species.

I highly doubt that they are eels. I have seen them in tanks with normal kuhli loaches and they behave exactly the same and are of a similar length. Just because they have a similar apperance to an eel doesn't mean that they are one.