Molly Hunt 04/02/07????

dave

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Mystic

Ps I just checked the pH and I lost my reference card thing but it looks like about 7.2, correct me if I'm wrong

and someone said the water temp was about 35degrees celsius. It was scolding hot in the mud in some places though and cooler in others

If anyone really wants some and theirs have died, Im happy to share mine out. I still have about 40 ish and they all seem healthy. They need a little longer in their tank but next week they should be fine to go to new homes. It must be beginners luck huh?

Good one evil. All mine are still fine too. But I did do a 50% water change on the tank they went into first and added baking soda to bring up the pH to match their wild environment. They look cool and that wild look in their eye. I put the really small ones in a smaller tank so they wouldn't get eaten and I think one died but I hadn't raised the pH in that one.

I have about 15-20 left out of 30-35ish. They were doing really well in their bucket, even with water added. Then they got put in a tank with an airstone, and some dropped away. Put a filter and heater in a few days ago, and since then 1 loss this morning.

They seem to deal fine with being mistreated and neglected (i.e. left in a bucket with no heater), but start carking it once you take care of them. A little too much love perhaps?

Mine are all a grey/creamy yellow, and my biggie is a female, so i'm yet to see any fab colours or big fins. I quite like the yellow colour though - and they are growing quick!

I brought home about 40ish and only lost 2. Quite a few have been shipped out and many are now living in a standard community tank and doing really well. They are not slow when food is on offer! :bounce:

I used a glass thermometer at a random point in the swamp to get a temp of 35 deg (not very scientific or accurate but good enough). It definitely wasn't the hottest place as there were some spots which were unbearable. I did some tests when we got back to the motel: pH 7.2, kH 10, nitrate 0.

I didn't get any big mollys and I've only have one death (and one defective individual with a bent back) the other two dozen plus are fine and feeding from my hand :D . Mine survived a day and night in a plastic tub at the motel and then a day in a poly box in the back of the car as we travelled back to Ak via a couple of tourist spots. All I did was put a oxy-shell in the bag.

My cat likes to take a drink from their tank (it's on the floor) when I feed them and they gather around his head :lol: :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

MOLLY UPDATE - Mine are happy as Larry, and i'm 99.9% sure have actually lightened in colour since i got them. Dirty swamp water having been passed, or less of a need for camoflage? Anyway, they're a lovely light cream with shinyness 8)

Sometimes when i feed them i take a pinch of food and hold it in the water, and they crowd round and nibble at it. It feels weird, like little nibbly kisses, and makes me giggle.

I'm quite fond of them now :P

Anyone else care to give an update?

I've got more than two dozen all doing well. Only one died and there was another that I took out of the gene pool on the account of a bent back. There is a dominant male who is developing markings on his fins and tail, but most of the males are mating with the females. They're really friendly and I can pick them up in a hand full of water.

I've got 3 or so medium sized ones doing well, nice cream colour. Wouldn't mind going to get a few more bigger ones though.... Molly Hunt pt II? :D

I have plenty if you want some Luke - can't say they're "bigger" though - just the one large female that seems to be the tank bicycle :lol:

I only have 1 which got left behind from an earlier excursion it is very happy in a community tank however it follows my angel fish constantly and seems to be feeding off their bodies ?

Angelfish secrete a mucus like discus so maybe they're feeding off that?

Well I have 7 of the orignal 40 approx mollies I caught on the hunt, which are doing great. growing really fast...

Drove back from Auckland on Saturday so I caught 11 on the way home. This time I took home the water to keep them in... I will slowly add water from the tank they are going into. Only one death so far.. I am hoping for a better result this time fingers crossed..

THe only problem is all of the new ones apper to be females... I hope at least a couple are already pregnat!!