REPEAT AFTER ME...

Caryl

lol @ Ant, I spotted that too. Hey at least you spelt "too" correctly :D

Did you konw taht Msot wrods can be undresootd if the frist and lsat lteter rmeain the smae?

You don't know why, but your brain joins the dots. People spelling incorrectly doesn't bother me that much, although when they spell spell wrong that's always funny. Good to know by the way that I'm not the only spelling and grammar OCD freak out there too hehe

Oh yeah lesson 2, an apostrophe follows "s" usually to replace "i", e.g "that's amazing" (= a conjunction for that is amazing). It also indicates possession, e.g "Luke's discus". However, "its" does not have one when it is not a conjunction (for it is), e.g "its wings were long and beautiful"

And a more technical one is, if you're writing a number one to ten, you should write it out in the long form, not just write the numbers "1" to "10". The exception is if you have already used numbers elsewhere in the text, then you should be consistent and continue to use them, even if it is within 1 to 10. In this case I would write 1 to 10 as I wrote lesson 2 above. :)

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Langwidge is bowt cumunication. There are also many people on this site for which english is not a first language but who also have the skill of other languages and hoose opinions on the subject of this site I value so I hope this thread has not discouraged them. We do usually understand strains and they talk funny and poms can't even talk english.

I wouldn't go as far to call it 'art' :lol: , its more of a fad (if it was art everyone's txt speak would be different).

But yeah doesn't bother me if it's easy to read, and even if it's hard to read I'll make the effort for good info. :) To be honest the real killer is the folks who don't paragraph or punctuate. Haven't seen any problems on here with that, but on a few other forums I use it gets bad.

I was not complaining about poor grammar or spelling. I am aware that for many typing is difficult, English is not their first language, and a number have reading and writing difficulties. I was just wanting the correct terminology used when referring to young fishes THEY ARE NOT BUBBAS THEY ARE FRY (the plural is not FRIES either :wink: )

while at a festival last week I was talking to a German girl who was backpacking. apparently the first kiwi phrase she learnt off the plane was "sweet as bro"

fishies fishes ITS FISH.

With fish you can have fries, chips are ok too.

but at the end of the day it is still a bubba fish, just as a cub is a bubba lion or tiger.

So it is still correct, just people expressing themselves in different ways. i know what you mean caryl, but it is all that expression stuff.

English is not my first language and i was taught bubba means first male sibling? from the word brother.:-?

Traditionally I believe it's a Maori term for a baby (either sex). Just while here on the topic of words etc., gender refers to what orientation someone's sexuality is, sex refers to the purely physical characteristics that make up either a male or female. Bubba also featured on Forrest Gump but he was a grown man.

Traditionally I believe it's a Maori term for a baby (either sex). Just while here on the topic of words etc., gender refers to what orientation someone's sexuality is, sex refers to the purely physical characteristics that make up either a male or female. Bubba also featured on Forrest Gump but he was a grown man.

no that cant be right as there is no letter B or b sounds in the Maori language. found this after googling the word.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubba

Hi All, ( I hope the Capital "A" is correct) ROFLMAO

I think it is about time that all this "POLITICALLY CORRECT CRAP" was dispensed with and the perpetrators of it's inclusion into NZ society taken out in public and shot. :evil:

If you have trouble with the way some of us (NZ'ers) spell then it's about time you got your brains together and took a long hard look at the WOK / AMAZONIAN DIKSHINRY.

If you can understand what is written then stop whinging and leave the populace alone to enjoy their lives.

THIS IS ALL WRITTEN "TUNG IN CHEAK" TO GET SUM DISKUSHIN GOING. :lol:

:hail::bow::bow::hail:

I have no problem with the way people post as long as they are trying to use correct English.

I don't even bother reading posts from people who write in 'Text' notation. Texts have completely butchered the English language. If people can't be bothered to try to write words correctly and use punctuation (like full-stops) then I can't be bothered reading their dribble...