Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

new camera time!

Featured Replies

hi all, just interested in what sort of camera you use and what you think of it.

its time for me to buy a decent camera :bounce: , price is not the main issue as i want one that will last and not be out dated too quickly.

i mainly want one to take photos of marine tanks and normal camera stuff (ie nice cars/girls/cool stuff), but i want one with a good macro function so i can get good clear close ups of corals and fish etc.

so do you have a camera you are happy with? what make and model?

where did you get it from? camera speicalist or genral store like harvey norman?

cheers guys!

Whats wrong with Sony? We were looking into the Sony H2 but now the H5 is out. Our other choice was the Olympus SP500-UZ. Only real differences are that the olympus doesn't have image stabalizing which can be corrected by using a tripod and the sony has more internal memory.

Best advise would be to look at all your options and stick to a price range and read plenty of reviews.

:bounce:

Canon Eos 30D

If you have any old canon slr lenses you can use them too.

Great reviews on them

Canon DSLR's are very good, so are Nikon and Olympus. I've looked at all of them and the most user friendly (in regards to the menu system, buttons, and intuitive) is the Olympus.

DSLR's are also more expensive, but are easier to upgrade as you can purchase more lenses for the camera where are the point and shoot are fixed.

Also DSLR's give better image quality (usually).

I have had lots of problems with Sony gear over the years as have some of my friends, I would never buy it again. Plus I think you pay too much extra for the name.

I have to agree with Suphew. My whole family has always had problems with Sony equipment - especially failing after the warranty has expired! :evil:

I try not to touch Sony stuff - Except PSP and Playstations! They rock 8)

  • Author

totally agree, i have had 3 bad experances with sony products so i will not give them my money again even if there stuff is better than anyone elses. i like the canon that i saw in harvy norman but it was not slr, it was the top of the line before they go slr. am i better to spend the extra to get the slr? the non slr was $800 ($999 retail) and the slr was $1499. cant remember the model numbers tho.

Yeah, a DSLR would be my suggestion, That would be the best but of course, that's expensive. Even used they hold their value pretty well. You might be better off, if you don't have a huge budget, going with a lightly used good prosumer grade non dslr camera instead.

I talked to a professional photographer 6 months ago, she had a nikon but was getting rid of it and getting a canon as she thought the pictures were better (her opinion). I have a canon 350d and am very happy with it

  • Author

budget isnt my first priority, like all good things you only get what you pay for. i will have a better look at the slr tomorrow, probably worth the extra cash for the ability to change lens's.

is there a differance between DSLR and SLR?

Yes the 350D is an exceptional camera. I had to decide whether to go with the Canon 350D or Olympus E300 and went for the E300 as the menu's were much easier to use, but for picture quality 350D was a little better AND if I knew this earlier how expensive the Olympus 4/3rd lenses are, I would have moved to Canon and just lived with the menu system. In saying all this, I am very happy with the E300 and am saving up for the Macro which I tested out and it produced amazing results.

  • Author

thanks ira, so the one im looking at would be a DSLR.

im defenatly not ment to be a photographer!

Depending on how good of a photographer you might just be wasting money(Well, not wasting, but might be better spent elsewhere) spending heaps more on an SLR. A good prosumer camera would still probably be able to take good enough pictures that you're the limiting factor, not the camera.

Something to consider anyway. Though, I'd go for the DSLR if the budget fit though.

The Canons do best in all the reviews. They are good value, very good picture quality, large range of lenses available and if I was buying a digital SLR I would buy a Canon.

Though having said that we have been buying Sony products (and selling them, along with other brands) for over 30 years and never had problem with them.

I own a cannon 350D and a olympus 5050. the cannon takes good photos however i can get just as good photos with the olympus. The SLR is cheap to buy but to get good lenses it cost quite a lot.

If i was to get another camera it would be the olympus 8080 which is a great camera with very good reviews. For most of us that is all you will need.

i want to try the Olympus Stylus 720 SW Digital mju 720 Waterproof as it can be used under water, however the ratings are average.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.