Full tank shot thread

Brianemone

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a very basic understanding of photoshop, I would say that altering levals such as brightness and contrast would be acceptable without the "photoshopped" connotation.

Since the thing you guys are all after is sps colouration its important (im geussing) that the hue or saturation levals arent enhanced or altered.

For example with wasps photo - contrast and brightness can make a nice improvement, without enhancing the colours unfairly.

Thanks Feelers. What is saturation anyway?

As to the previous post, I’ll re state that I’ve seen the cry PHOTOSHOP! used to discredit a pic of a nice tank, because the complainant did not like the method of filtration used on the tank. Not once but several different times. No I’m not an expert :D in the industry but I could see no evidence of photoshopping at all in these cases.

It is this mentality why I am reluctant to do it, even for a genuine purpose. Plus I’m sure photoshop could be abused anyway. How much is too much.

I guess what this is about, to me anyway, is that Combo's "photoshopped" pic of my tank is actually more accurate than the other one. I'd like to substitute the pic if it was "ethical".

But is it?

It certainly looks more photoshopped than some I've seen critisized, because even my non expert eye can see it.

you couldn't see any there either. So what examples do you have wasp?

You want me to spend an hour running around looking for them? Can't be bothered.

No need either as most people on the board will remember it.

The photoshop allegation has been used several times and I certainly thought it was a wild claim in some cases.

Im definately not an expert, but the saturation is the intensity of colour.

When you increase the saturation the colour (to me at least) leaks or blurs around the edges of the object.

here is an over saturated image.

saturation-blowout.jpg

here is how saturation works on a photo.

saturation_example_2.jpg

saturation_example_1.jpg

To me at least you can tell because of the edges and unnatural look. I can see how this can be abused to make acro growth look better than in real life. It seems to be a bit of a grey area. I would say the best thing is to state what has been done if any alterations have been made.

this is where you can kinda see what I mean.

http://images.google.co.nz/imgres?imgur ... D%26sa%3DG

hue is the tint of the colours,

hue_example.jpg

Ok, I didn’t want to heat up discussion. I just saw those overexposed pictures. If we are not good photographers, we can use auto or manual correction to get as close as possible to WYSWYG.

Good hands and good camera can do that:

akvarij051130-1.JPG

no flash, F 4,5 1/80, manual white balance ISO 200

akvarij051130-2.JPG

no flash, F 4,5 1/80, manual white balance ISO 100

akvarij051130-3.JPG

flash, F 4,5 1/80, manual white balance ISO 100, altered brightness

Camera: Olympus C-7070

what about this one:

altered or not?

fulltankshotagain3.jpg

Hmmm... Well looking at that tree pic I can certainly see how a drab tank could be made into a stunner!! :lol:

As to your last post Combo I'm guessing the bottom ones photoshopped? Only because it seems unusualy highly coloured?

Come on spill the beans :D Is it or isn't it? How do you know?

BTW just to illustrate my previous point about false accusations, on that mammoth thread of Bombers on RC, even HE was accused of photoshopping, and the pics had been taken by Gregt! I just don't believe it.

Especially those with significant experience in the industry.

wasp seems to have a bit of experience (he post pic's of his tank and show's that he is succesful in propagating corals which seems alot more then you do) he also didn't want to enhance his pic's (hey at least he has some that could be enhanced) because he didn't feel that it was right.

????

exactly how i felt.