Southern DHB Pricey Tropical Tank

fishandchips

That would be redundant given the L, G and B. And probably slightly offensive?

Depends on who uses the term - it is how some people choose to self-identify. Sometimes the Q also stands for "questioning". There are people who do not consider themselves precisely lesbian, gay, bi-sexual or transgender, so it is sometimes used as a general term to denote "non-heterosexual" - it's not offensive if it is the term a particular person chooses to use to describe him/herself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queer

Depends on who uses the term - it is how some people choose to self-identify. Sometimes the Q also stands for "questioning". There are people who do not consider themselves precisely lesbian, gay, bi-sexual or transgender, so it is sometimes used as a general term to denote "non-heterosexual" - it's not offensive if it is the term a particular person chooses to use to describe him/herself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queer

Be prepared for a bit of an infodump.

:smot: but many of us use Queer to mean anything but cisgender and hetereosexual. I go by Queer, myself :) The Q is kind of used as an umbrella term for anyone who doesn't fit in to the first four.

There's heaps of variations - LGBTQA tends to be the most common "up to date" version, LGBTQAI is on occasion used but some Intersex people feel uncomfortable about being "forced" into a community when they don't have any differing gender or sexual identity (it's debated, I don't speak for anyone so I don't know what is right/wrong). P is sometimes included too.

It gets more complex :P It's not complex once you get it, but it's quite confusing at first. MOGII (Marginalized Orientation, Gender Identity, and Intersex) has been suggested instead to reduce the acronyms - some only go by MOGII but I don't quite know whether it's going to catch on or not.

I tend to use "Queer community" - easiest way to put it, is a nice umbrella term lol. No debate around who "should" and "shouldn't" be included.

Note that all of the above, like, changes pretty regularly and it all depends on who you're talking to, though.

I think a lot of the cost would have been involved in consultations such as would the natives be offended, would it be safe etc. This is all part of the bollocks imposed by the government where all these "experts" with massive fees have to be involved in the process. Having spent some time in the children's ward in Christchurch many years ago where there was a tropical aquarium I can confirm that the kids really loved it.