Keeping tanks cool without chillers

willyp123

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had a 120L tank which was slightly easier to cool than the 250L but both required daily (sometimes more) input of 3L frozen containers. The poor freezer was running non-stop trying to keep up.

This was in a room which could reach 28C in summer and we needed the tank at 15C. The temperature difference was too much.

We have since bought a chiller (long after the tank was dismantled - just in case we decided to set it up again) and it will still be in the garage somewhere. Anyone who has seen our garage will understand why I am unsure exactly where :bggrn:

We had a 120L tank which was slightly easier to cool than the 250L but both required daily (sometimes more) input of 3L frozen containers. The poor freezer was running non-stop trying to keep up.

This was in a room which could reach 28C in summer and we needed the tank at 15C. The temperature difference was too much.

We have since bought a chiller (long after the tank was dismantled - just in case we decided to set it up again) and it will still be in the garage somewhere. Anyone who has seen our garage will understand why I am unsure exactly where :bggrn:

I think anyone with a garage will understand :wink:

A bit :smot:

But went to a local lake today and there were heaps of dead bullies (in about a 30m stretch of shore there would have been 40+ bodies) I'm assuming it was temperature related due to the fact that the gambusia are still thriving.

Also no dead juvenile bullies (nothing below 40mm) are they more tolerent of water temp and/or low O2 levels?

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering how everyone (without a chiller) has been going, I'm still keeping mine around the 15 degree mark (I did a bit of a test to see how warm it would get without ice, I left it for 24 hours and it crept up to 19.8 so it appears that 3 litres of ice lowers the temperature by atleast 1 degree and gets back to original temp after 24 hours)

What are your tanks currently sitting at or fluctuating between during the day?

A few koura? That'll be interesting.... :spop:

You won't have much mid water movement you might want to think about 3 or 4 inanga?

I think 2 koura should be fine in that, I considered that but I am wanting to be more representative of their environment, so inanga wouldn't really work, but one full grown banded should provide enough movement, shouldn't it?

I guess so..... But when bandeds get bigger they become more of a lurker, inanga are relatively active 24/7 all their lives.

Yeah 2 should be fine, I was under the impression you meant more than that.

With their natural enviroment banded and inanga are often found together which isn't surprising due to the fact that they both like slowish flow.....

I guess so..... But when bandeds get bigger they become more of a lurker, inanga are relatively active 24/7 all their lives.

Yeah 2 should be fine, I was under the impression you meant more than that.

With their natural enviroment banded and inanga are often found together which isn't surprising due to the fact that they both like slowish flow.....

I haven't heard much about their environments overlapping, it does happen occasionally, but bandeds prefer a forested stream and being good climbers, while inanga can't climb - I would have thought that they would be uncommon to be found together

I have found 4 populations of bandeds around here, 3 also had inanga, the one population without inanga is our farm drains there are a fair few culverts on neighbours properties before reaching the sea. All our natives like cover but due to deforestation and farming that isn't possible in many areas (far north included)

I guess it depends whether you're copying a specific stream or a specific habitat. Just another thought, kokopu seem to be more active if there are smaller fish out in the open (small fish = no big dangerous fish)

I have found 4 populations of bandeds around here, 3 also had inanga, the one population without inanga is our farm drains there are a fair few culverts on neighbours properties before reaching the sea. All our natives like cover but due to deforestation and farming that isn't possible in many areas (far north included)

I guess it depends whether you're copying a specific stream or a specific habitat. Just another thought, kokopu seem to be more active if there are smaller fish out in the open (small fish = no big dangerous fish)

That's interesting, I know all the banded areas i've found haven't had any inanga, that's quite interesting.

Maybe you are further inland? I'm on the northernmost peninsula so most locations are within 10ks of atleast one coast.

Actually to be fair, all my banded populations are either quite inland or above migratory barriers, and inanga populations not so much - so that would make sense.

• 3 weeks later...