October 4, 201412 yr comment_555014 I have recently moved into a bigger house with a good sized garage and workshop. So my plan was to turn half the workshop into a fishroom. And one good thing is my partner is all for it because it gets my tanks out of the house :bggrn: It will mostly be marine tanks for growing out corals but I am thinking about putting a freshwater tank in there too. I miss having cichlids, might go for some tangs again. leleupi, brichardi, julies, and maybe some ikola, morilo or duboisi etc. So far I have done everything myself, moved into the house 12th September, started the room 14th September, and it has cost me exactly $2599.97 in materials 3 weeks later (kept all the receipts) The progress so far... I dug out under the house a little bit to get more room for a side room to the fishroom for water storage barrels... Report
October 4, 201412 yr comment_555018 Cam I bet you say that to all the boys Looking good! :cophot: Report
October 4, 201412 yr comment_555027 Nice room A few comments: - You used normal GibBoard. Might become a problem especially as you - haven't used a vapor barrier on the warm side of the room. - Powerpoints are flush with the gib. That is a prime point where the moist air from the inside will get in contact with cold air and condensation will occur. 24C inside, 60% humidity, dew point at 15.8C 24C inside, 70% humidity, dew point at 18.2C Means when the air from your fish room moves through the ordinary Gib, powerpoints or cracks and hits 15.8 / 18.2C inside your Rockwool, the humidity becomes dew. This means mold and a wet insulation fails to do it's job. Cheers, JaSa Report
October 4, 201412 yr Author comment_555039 Thanks Jasa, yes I used standard gib so I have done more than the required coats of paint, hoping moisture won't go through the gib. And I will be sealing the power points to the gib to stop anything getting in there but haven't done it yet. I have gone around the room and sealed all gaps and holes to stop any air leaks, except for the door. I have been very particular about this for the exact reason of there shouldn't be any heat getting out unless I want it to. I will also have a heat circulation fan and extractor fan for removal of heat and moisture. Also a dehumidifier will be used. Report
October 4, 201412 yr comment_555043 I saw that first pic and thought it looked like the start of an epic indoor pond build, you had three concrete sides you just needed a big window in the front!! Report
October 5, 201412 yr comment_555066 - You used normal GibBoard. Might become a problem especially as you good points, hence the reason after many years experience of finding out that paint and water don't mix i used Seratone as a liner. So far after two years my fishroom still looks brand new, moisture/saltwater does damage the gib and paint over time. Report
October 20, 201411 yr Author comment_555793 One day I will have a real tank room :iag: We are only planning to live here for 5-10 years. By then hopefully I can afford to build my own house and then I can do this all again but better and properly. Then someone else can buy this house and use this room as their own grow room :lar: Report
October 20, 201411 yr comment_555796 Archaeologists years from now might dig this up and wonder what it was all used for. "Hmm. Receipts found dating back to 2014. Cannabis-growing was still illegal then, and was often grown in underground, lighted, heated rooms, with a water supply, ergo this room used to be used for hydroponic cannabis." Report
October 20, 201411 yr comment_555805 I had a purpose built fish house at my previous place and when I sold the property you should have seen the looks and whispers when people spied it. Report
October 20, 201411 yr comment_555806 I had a purpose built fish house at my previous place and when I sold the property you should have seen the looks and whispers when people spied it. Depending on the town a "fish room" probably adds more value to a house than a swimming pool or a deck :slfg: Report
November 10, 201411 yr Author comment_556432 I have now joined the two tanks together with some temporary DIY overflows. The hang on skimmer is now on my rock cycling drum. This is a 280ltr drum filled to the top with coral rock. I have put in as much rock as I could fit. There is 4 powerheads in it for flow + a heater to keep it warm. It has been cycling for about 4 weeks so far with 20ltr weekly water changes with old water from my tanks. And I have the RODI and salt mixing drums in. They still have a slight smell of gherkins! but a lot less than they use to. I have also installed the drain line and now waiting for the new tanks to be built. 4x 1400x600x350(290)ltr frag tanks, 1x 1400x450x500 sump and 1x 1000x350x300 refugium. Report
January 2, 201511 yr Author comment_557814 Tanks are finally in :dnc1: Now I have to install all the plumbing and do a freshwater test next week if all goes well. Report
January 21, 201511 yr Author comment_558276 It cost me around $2600 just to build the room. I haven't added the receipts up for the rest just yet. Update... Here is a render I did at the start of the project, it looks pretty close to what I have put together. Apart from the green pipes. and here is where I am at now... it has been running since last week, live rock went in tuesday, doesnt a few vials of prodibio bacteria to give the system a bit of a boost. And I will add a heap of mollies at some stage in the weekend. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.