Sophia asked-my snakes.

getarealdog

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I've read, there is some reptile and amphibian disease that we don't have in NZ. Cats and dogs can be because they are domesticated, which you can't really do with herps. You could import tropical herps but you'll have to pay for the science to prove they won't become a pest and will die outside.

Lets face it, we'll always have to be jealous of those who can keep what we can't, until someone spends the money so we can.

Well people brang in cats, dogs, rats etc that are the leading cause of the die offs of many native species so whats the harm in a few tropical reptiles that wont survive in our climate anyway?

Why would you bring something that wouldn't survive? That's not in the best interest of the pet or the owner.

Things that survive in our climate when they turn feral and live on native lizards, frogs and birds are a threat to our native species. Animals that cannot survive are not a threat if released. The common threat is diseases that can be carried by these animals. Mrs Google sits on the right hand side of god's mother in law so do a google search on "zoonotic diseases carried by cats" It may awaken some people.

Well people brang in cats, dogs, rats etc that are the leading cause of the die offs of many native species so whats the harm in a few tropical reptiles that wont survive in our climate anyway?

And those people thought whats the harm in bringing those animals in, the past is there to learn from, only stupid people keep repeating mistakes

• 2 weeks later...
baby snakes!

do you breed the rats as well?

Thats the down side to keeping snakes, the time needed to look after the rodents. Often you spend more time on them than you do with your collection. My kids used to breed them but then they woke up! I have 3 breeders over here who look after me. There is money in breeding rodents for the reptile market over here.

Love the woodlands, how and do you handle them at all? i never went into the venomous end of things, the wife would probably have left.

All my adders are handled via a snake hook, 2 hooks used on the bigger females. Spend most of their time in plastic tubs & is easy to place another tub next to theirs on the floor & simply hook them over. Very easy to maintain like this when you have a few (around 30 adders). I do have some display enclosures that I use for them to "holiday in" & for mating. Always said I wouldn't do the venomous but as time goes by my direction changed & now have 80 odd venomous snakes & 6 pythons. Wife has no interest but hopes I do the right thing in maintaining them & my own safety. Full respect is given to all my venomous snakes. Cheers.

And your point is?

hi, my point is why keep venomous snakes if you can't held them in an environment that comes close to their natural habitat ? what a wonderful life that must be for a snake sitting on news paper, looking at four white walls under a white lid which every now and then opens and a rat falls from the sky. my opinion.