August 21, 201313 yr comment_537269 hey frnds ..i m visiting chch next week ..would really like to visit redwood aquatics if i get time ,..its a very very short visit my flight package includes just hand bag ..no extra luggage included ..my question is . is it possible to take fish in hand bag ?? if any one av done it recently pls let me know and i m plannin to get bettas .. Report
August 21, 201313 yr comment_537276 Yes it is possible to have them as carry on luggage. What airline as some airlines are a bit more difficult than others? Report
August 21, 201313 yr comment_537278 I have travelled a number of times with fish (and once with axolotls in an ice cream container) as hand luggage in one of those foldable cooler bags. Report
August 22, 201313 yr comment_537309 Just do not tell them you have them or you may end up having to pay more. Report
August 22, 201313 yr comment_537321 I have carried these 3 bags as hand luggage various times with no problems. I have never thought to tell anyone what was in the bags and nobody asked either. In fact, I seem to remember my sister and her daughter taking 2 of the largest bags each on board from Blenheim to Hamilton (full of cichlids incidentally) with no questions asked. Report
August 22, 201313 yr Author comment_537332 so thr is no restriction on the amount of liquid u carry?? one more question i have few heat pads which i got wen i bought fish before is it ok to use again?? i mean is it made for just 1 time use?? Report
August 22, 201313 yr comment_537334 so thr is no restriction on the amount of liquid u carry?? one more question i have few heat pads which i got wen i bought fish before is it ok to use again?? i mean is it made for just 1 time use?? Depends what airport you are departing from/stopping over at. Auckland they x-ray u bags as well as Wellington and CHCH. They are usually ok with coffee and stuff but i don't know if they would let you take on a box of fish. Report
August 22, 201313 yr comment_537335 We recently flew in and out of Auckland and our hand luggage was not X-rayed, nor were we asked what was in it. In fact the only time my stuff has gone through X-ray was when flying overseas. I have heard others say otherwise though. Report
August 22, 201313 yr comment_537340 Basically if you ask the airlines about transporting fish they will put you through the hoops but if you don't then the security people don't worry. Even a half sane security person can usually work out that the chances of fish swimming in a bag of nitroglycerine are not great. Report
August 22, 201313 yr comment_537350 What would they do if they found out you had a fish with you? Report
August 22, 201313 yr Author comment_537354 might ask for extra fee ... in that case i ll ask redwood aquatic people to courier to my address ... still i can select my fish can any one tell me the price range of bettas ther ?? Report
August 22, 201313 yr comment_537363 Air NZ have a special freight service for pets. I have sent reptiles and turtles etc and have seen others sending cats and dogs. It cost me $185 to go airport to airport from Auckland to Christchurch. Redwoods could send by overnight courier but I don't know what they charge. Certainly less than air nz. Report
August 24, 201313 yr comment_537517 never asked never told ime one more question i have few heat pads which i got wen i bought fish before is it ok to use again?? i mean is it made for just 1 time use?? yes they are one time use only. you should be able to purchase more at an outdoors shop where they are sold as pocket warmers. Report
August 24, 201313 yr comment_537520 so thr is no restriction on the amount of liquid u carry?? I don't think liquids or any of that other BS are NZ regs. Just US, along with taking off your shoes and getting fondled by the TSA... If I sound annoyed guess where I am right now? LAX. Report
August 24, 201313 yr Author comment_537522 Air NZ have a special freight service for pets. I have sent reptiles and turtles etc and have seen others sending cats and dogs. It cost me $185 to go airport to airport from Auckland to Christchurch. Redwoods could send by overnight courier but I don't know what they charge. Certainly less than air nz. i asked redwood people they r charging 45 $ for shipping so if i put fish in my baggage will it be ok ??any idea i might ask them to courier ..too much trouble Report
August 24, 201313 yr Author comment_537523 I had to pay extra when they found out I had fish how much did u payed ?? Report
August 25, 201313 yr comment_537524 i asked redwood people they r charging 45 $ for shipping that is a good price from CHCH to Rotovegas Report
August 25, 201313 yr comment_537528 Seeing how suitcases are handled, I would not be putting fish in my baggage! Hand luggage only. Report
August 26, 201313 yr comment_537673 how much did u payed ?? I cant remember, it was either nearly $200 or $400. Being that $180 was said a few post's earlier I would go with that. I was within my luggage allowance as well and got given the thumbs up at Nelson airport so I was rather frustrated about it all. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.