Change of modem

Sophia

We had a Dlink modem that was the original one with our first internet connection, maybe 8-10 years old or older. It's taken this long but the power cord started to come away from the plug so we took advantage of an offer of a free ADSL2+ from Telecom.

New modem is in and working and now I'm wondering - should I expect the loading of webpages and uploading things to Youtube etc to take less time? We have long been on an ADSL2+ capable line but I thought that the upgraded modem might increase the overall speed.

:dunno:

Upload is pretty much the same on ADSL1 and ADSL2+.

Download depends on how far you are from your exchange / cabinet and also how much bandwidth is available to you from your ISP. Loading webpages typically isn't too noticeable when you jump up in speed unless they're really photo heavy.

Yup, same as everyone else has said. I wouldn't expect any significant differences. I'd be surprised if you saw any difference at all, maybe if you ran some speedtests you might see something. But the major factors in connection speed are outside the modem.

You will only see an increase is sync speed on adsl2+ if you are (off the top of my head) less than 1800 - 2000m from the exchange/cab. That is on a standard noise setting of 6dB, as in NZ all ISPs that I've seen (most dont own there own equipment in the exchange so are at the mercy of telecom wholesale/chorus) use a 12dB profile you will have to be even closer to the DSLAM.

Somewhere I have a program that I wrote that will test what the modem sees and can spot if there are problems on the line - not as good as a HAWK (or what ever chorus use here)

Two things to check, local speed and international speed.

Locally, as in inside NZ, we get 14.85 Mbps download and .8 Mbps upload. (Orcon Broadband, not yet on Fibre)

Internationally, that drops dramatically to 3 Mbps and .7 Mbps.

That Pacific Fibre contract would have been great...

Two things to check, local speed and international speed.

Locally, as in inside NZ, we get 14.85 Mbps download and .8 Mbps upload. (Orcon Broadband, not yet on Fibre)

Internationally, that drops dramatically to 3 Mbps and .7 Mbps.

That Pacific Fibre contract would have been great...

Testing to different servers around the world;

Sydney 11.4 - 1.4

Perth 10.6 - 1.3

Singapore 7.7 - 1.1

Ho Chi Minh City 4.8 - 1.5

Quite interesting really, I'm with flip and find them great.

wow and here i was thinking that 6Mbps was fast. guess that comes from growing up on 14,400k modems getting an average speed of around 2400k. DONT PICK UP THE PHONE!!

as long as i can stream family guy without it buffering every few seconds then i'm happy.

you guys with your flash cellphones doing your net, are you on 4G?

vodafone spent hundreds of millions on 3G. better tehy squeeze it for every penny before it goes obsolete..

today i installed a gadget that runs four wired network / LAN connections from the router in my room to the basement at the other end of my house, using nothing but the power points it is plugged into.

not ashamed to say, i was mind blown. 4 wired connections running through wall socket electrical wires that are also powering said device? yo technology, wait for me....

oh and by the way, sophie, mind if we hijack your thread? yee haaar

that link didn't work for me..

i tested mine here and got 6.89Mbps

- http://nzdsl.co.nz/

out of interest, what speed are you guys getting?

That speedtest isn't the greatest. Here at home I get 15 down / 10 up on that one. At work on FX fibre I get about the same.

speedtest.net does typically give better results. This is my home connection on speedtest.net (chch server)

2527799401.png

Same connection to Sydney

2527801270.png

The problem with residential connections in NZ is that they don't make the consumer aware of what the CIR is and everyone gets sold on the PIR. CIR is the committed information rate, the minimum amount of bandwidth that they purchase per customer. PIR is the peak information rate, or basically the speed your modem syncs at.

2 years ago, almost everyone on ADSL (via Telecom gear) was on a wholesale product called BUBA. BUBA had a restriction of 45kbps (dial up speed) per subscriber for the connection back to the ISP. So basically, if every customer in the area was using the internet at the same time, no matter how much bandwidth the ISP had available, the link would saturate and each customer would get an average of 45kbps. Now, most people are on EUBA or gear from other providers. Only rural areas are still on BUBA. EUBA allows the ISP to buy however much bandwidth for the link back as they want.

In saying that, most ISPs still have pathetic CIRs, could be as low as 45kbps, or maybe if you're really lucky, as high as 1Mbps. Given heaps of people connect at over 10Mbps, that's still not a huge amount. The only reason you can get higher speeds than the CIR is because not every customer is downloading information at the same time, so it averages out to give you higher speeds. In peak times like evenings and school holidays, people often complain that the internet is a lot slower. That's because everyone is using it. The other thing that helps is that ISPs have caches and CDNs which allow them to deliver international content to you from a local source. Local traffic doesn't tend to have restrictive CIRs.

Can I hijack this thread some more? :bggrn:

I have fibre/UFB at my front door but have yet to subscribe. Is it worth it?

Depends on the price difference and what you want out of it. Unless you have a poor quality or slow ADSL connection, you probably won't notice much difference. The real advantage of UFB is higher upload speeds which is great if you do a lot of uploading and sit around waiting for it.

Can I hijack this thread some more? :bggrn:

I have fibre/UFB at my front door but have yet to subscribe. Is it worth it?

How fast is your connection you're using and what's the price difference? I'm not convinced there's much point in anything much faster than about 5-6megabit other than bragging rights unless you're downloading heaps not just a handful of TV eps per day. For your average web browsing that's heaps fast enough.