Change of modem

Sophia

My connection is dreadfully slow according to speed test... :facepalm: and I have 150GB for $95 (I use about 80Gb/ month). I only notice the inadequate speed in my lounge which is far away from the wireless hub, but I've only tried it at night so it may be better at a less busy time of day. I can't stream shows on the TV in there but I can stream on a TV closer to the modem. I want to get Netflix though so something may need to change. Apparently for a similar price (not including $10 monthly fibre modem hire) I can get unlimited data under the 'fast' fibre plan. Seems like a no-brainer but I guess - IF I was just out for the speed. I would like to be able to stream Netflix in the lounge... is that about speed, or strength of the signal? :dunno:

I guess it would be heaps better for uploading large file photos to my cloud though.

The wireless issue is signal strength, not your connection. If it works fine closer to the wireless access point then it's not your internet connection. Does your wireless access point use external antennas? If so, you can upgrade those to something better to help boost the signal. Otherwise, a new wireless access point with a higher output would be your only real option there.

:hail: You gotta love that a fish forum is a source for the best advice around on just about any subject.

Speed tests run at 9.30am -

On laptop in the lounge:

2536694930.png

On laptop in the office (near the modem at the opposite end of the house from the lounge):

2536702574.png

On work desktop computer in the office (connected by a cable to the modem):

2536723633.png

The modem is a Linksys WAG200g and is in the office so that it can be connected by cable to my work desktop.

The TV in the lounge is this one and it is mounted to the wall so the cable idea is a bit daunting. Ugh, I hope it doesn't come to that. :o

In simple terms where your laptop is and how it's connected to your router is a mute point. In all likelihood going to be connected via a ~54mbs wireless connection or a ~100mbs fast Ethernet connection. Both of which move the bottleneck out past your control. The minor differences in up and download you noticed are so small you could run the test repeatedly with the same network configuration/topography back to back and see exactly the same fluctuations.

As for cabling for a TV, look at a EOP (Ethernet Over Power) set-up. It may be a more elegant solution.

Ok, so this is not my area of expertise.

So, fibre isn't worth it as I can stream at the same speeds I have now?

And, I need to invest around $200 for EOP just because my new smart TV doesn't stream as well as the other one in the house?

At those speeds above, fibre may make a difference. It really depends if you struggle to stream the content you want with your current connection (tested close to the wireless access point). Fibre starts at 30Mbps, so the bandwidth between you and the ISP will be 5x as much as your current connection.

As far as I know, the antenna on those routers isn't removable. Are you able to check and see if your one can unscrew? If so, it would be pretty cheap to get a bigger one.

Can you not move the router to somewhere more central?

If not, I'd probably look to get a wireless bridge with a grunty antenna. That should be more like $75 and could sit behind your TV.

WAGs are good little modems, even better if you flash a 3rd party firmware.

I will gofiber when it comes as it will cost no more for the plan I, m on and I'll get better speeds.

It could be a poor wifi in the tv. Anotjer solution could beWDS but thst can be very fickle on consumer equipment.

If not, I'd probably look to get a wireless bridge with a grunty antenna. That should be more like $75 and could sit behind your TV.

:hail:

WAGs are good little modems, even better if you flash a 3rd party firmware.

I will gofiber when it comes as it will cost no more for the plan I, m on and I'll get better speeds.

It could be a poor wifi in the tv. Anotjer solution could beWDS but thst can be very fickle on consumer equipment.

:hail:

Thank you so much guys, that is very helpful!

I only notice the inadequate speed in my lounge which is far away from the wireless hub, but I've only tried it at night so it may be better at a less busy time of day. I can't stream shows on the TV in there but I can stream on a TV closer to the modem. I want to get Netflix though so something may need to change.

hi jennifer. as i understand, your issue is that your lounge TV is too far away from the wireless router to get decent speeds over your wireless network. i was waffling on about a product earlier in the thread, and i think it would be a perfect solution to your issue, having had the exact same issue myself which i quickly and easily solved using this product.

the product is a "netcomm home entertainment connection kit"

it is basically an extension to your existing router. it looks like a four port non wireless router, it is small enough to install behind your tv. plug your TV into the new extension router with a LAN (blue) cable, and away you go. it uses the power points and electrical wiring in your house to connect the two routers and transfer data from the main router to your lounge. it doesn't matter how far away it is from the main router because it is a wired connection. so it will, in theory, deliver the highest speed your network can deliver all the way through to your lounge TV.

anyway. as you can see i'm terrible at explaining even the simplest of things. so check it out for yourself :)

here's a link to the product info. anything else you'd like to know feel free to ask.

http://www.netcommwireless.com/product/powerline/np203

That looks like the Ethernet Over Power discussed above, although it makes it look a lot more achievable! :thup: When I went to that site and clicked to look at the fibre options, it was a little overwhelming though...

Fibre is available and at my house now, I just need to buy the contract/modem for it. It seems the thing to do considering it costs about the same. Hopefully it will miraculously solve the TV problem too... :dunno:

... unless she gets the fibre installed into a more central room or closer to the TV.

But yeah, ADSL isn't the problem with the streaming to the TV, fibre won't fix that current issue. EoP is good, I have several units here I use with clients. Just they're expensive compared to sorting out the wireless other ways.

Jennifer, if you'd like to borrow some EoP units to try before you buy, I have some here you could use.