Tanks too hot?

Jaide

I've often wondered why peope turn heaters off over summer, if its warm enough then they're not going to be on anyway, so turning them off is saving zero electricity and removing the safety net in case the air temp drops cooler than expected.

It depends on the temp the heater is set for, which determines if it's warm enough. It may be warm enough for fish at 23 degrees instead of 28. So if it's 23 in your area, the heater won't turn on. If the temp is 28 in your area, the heater won't turn on - but is 28 too hot for the fish?

Likewise, it's never overly hot in Wgtn in Summer - high of 24 degrees, so if my tanks are set for hotter than that, the heaters are running all the time regardless - but is that temp too hot for my fish?

That's the question :wink:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2x1x1 ft unheated Guppy/Leopard fish tank 26.4 deg

2x1x1 ft temp set at 22 deg Guppy/WCMM/Cory tank 25.0

160L unheated temperate marine (just started to cycle on w/e) 25.1 deg

340L chilled native set for 19 deg on chiller (I know that it's temp is 1-2 deg out) at 18.2 deg

~15L brineshrimp tank 27.4 deg

Room temp 29 atm

Yes they do but I wanted to be sure that they wouldn't come on at all at the other end of the scale, who knows what these things are calibrated for exactly.

It still gets a bit warm in there so I keep the door open for air circulation when possible.

190l Axolotl tank goes up to 21.5 deg but I am busy keeping the temp down to 19 deg with frozen water bottles (I really need a chiller :fshi: 19 deg is still too high)

26 juvenile Axolotl each in solitary confinement, keeping the temperature down with water changes twice a day

I am in Dunedin on Thursday, will go and buy a big fan to gap the time till I can afford a chiller

190l Axolotl tank goes up to 21.5 deg but I am busy keeping the temp down to 19 deg with frozen water bottles (I really need a chiller :fshi: 19 deg is still too high)

26 juvenile Axolotl each in solitary confinement, keeping the temperature down with water changes twice a day

I am in Dunedin on Thursday, will go and buy a big fan to gap the time till I can afford a chiller

could put them in a large plastic bin/trough outside in a shady spot ..... mine live outside permanently in green water in a trough that only gets morning sun. japanese rush plonked in the middle. have an overflow below top of trough though so when it rains they don't get washed onto the lawn. hardly see them but they look amazing when i do catch a glimpse. nice big frilly gills - very low maintenance :P

Interesting, I'd have thought a tin roof shed would be fairly similar to the outside temp? Certainly my old garage in Auckland fluctuated hugely within 24 hours. With the overnight lows being around 16-18C I guess the concrete floor and tank water would be helping hold some heat in. I still think I'd run the heaters with the thermostat turned down low just in case, I guess it depends what fish you're keeping though.

i think this is interesting and semi relevant

Specific growth and mortality rates of juvenile rainbow trout (Salmo gairdneri) were determined for 50 days at seven constant temperatures between 8 and 22 °C and six diel temperature fluctuations (sine curve of amplitude ±3.8 deg C about mean temperatures from 12 to 22 °C). For constant temperature treatments the maximum specific growth rate of trout fed excess rations was 5.12%/day at 17.2 °C. An average specific mortality rate of 0.35%/day was observed at the optimum temperature and lower. At temperatures in excess of the growth optimum, mortality rates were significantly higher during the first 20 days of this experiment than the last 30 days. The highest constant temperature at which specific growth and mortality rates became equal (initial biomass remained constant over 40 days) was 23 °C. The upper incipient lethal temperature was 25.6 °C for trout acclimated to 16 °C. A yield model was developed to describe the effects of temperature on the living biomass over time and to facilitate comparison of treatment responses. When yield was plotted against mean temperature, the curve of response to fluctuating temperatures was shifted horizontally an average 1.5 deg C towards colder temperatures than the curve of response to constant temperature treatments. This response pattern to fluctuating treatments indicates that rainbow trout do not respond to mean temperature, but they acclimate to some value between the mean and maximum daily temperatures. These data are discussed in relation to establishment of criteria for summer maximum temperatures for fish.

sause - http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/abs ... QheDR1fH6c

could put them in a large plastic bin/trough outside in a shady spot .....

I will give that a try with some of the juvenile ones once they are old enough not to eat each other or parts of it...

(...and a bit off topic, does someone have a mayan cookbook by any chance ?) :wink:

Yes they do but I wanted to be sure that they wouldn't come on at all at the other end of the scale, who knows what these things are calibrated for exactly.

Agree, I have my heaters set for 26 on one tank and at 28 degrees, one of the heater's was still going full-blast.

My goldie tank is about 22 - got to a high of 24 this Summer, but then I am in Wgtn ;)

I have always kept my 4ft tropical at 22 - 24C. This was fine until I got some new fish then a sudden cold night a few weeks later. I suspect the overnight temp dropped further and these fish were not used to it so started a massive whitespot outbreak - the first I had experienced in over 20 years. Wiped out most of the fish, old and new, before getting it under control.

At 8pm this evening the tank is sitting at 27C (room is 28.1C but was 31.2C earlier in the day)

The pond is 21C. I will try and remember to check the temp midday tomorrow as the air temp is supposed to be similar to today's, which was 32.1C.

We live in the lee of the Wither Hills so temps are usually higher, and weather is drier, than where the official readings are taken for Blenheim - they said we were 28C.