On the News Tonight, Rudd

supasi

We have a problem with idiots releasing rudd and tench into the Taylor dam. They have had to drain it twice now, also killing the other fish and critters that were there :an!gry

Along the same line was at my father in laws on the weekend and he was angry at someone that's thrown oxygen weed(Elodea I think) in his pond. Only way now he'll be able to get rid of the infestation is to drain the pond, current plan is to get into the pond with his excavator and dig it out with the bucket but that's just temporary.

Apparently the ones that were put in Taylors Dam near Blenheim were even fin-clipped so they could track growth and/or reproduction :o

Some of these hooligans are very organised.

I shared this link on my native fish facebook page and had a couple of nutters trying to tell me that there is no evidence that koi and rudd cause any problems at all :facepalm: In the end I decided to link to only one paper rather than send them the deluge that they deserved.

did you also link their details to DOC???

lil craps need to be dealt with.

whats the point of having the fines in place if they aren't used???

seriously the Coarse fishing association of NZ should be fined every time a new incursion is located.

btw got a guy that was intent on releasing koi to take a light (.5kg) spinning outfit to the drain he wanted to infect and he caught some large banded kokopu and had a blast..... one down.....

I used to fish for Rudd, carp, perch, etc. back in Denmark (where they belong). It was great fun and I actually really like these fish but of course I agree that they should remain in their native habitat which does not include NZ waters.

I am quite sure that a species like Rudd can spread from one water to another by eggs sticking to e.g. Ducks feet. I can say for sure that back in Denmark if you dug a hole and put some water in it it wouldn't be long before you had Rudd in there and it certainly was not because someone had released them.

Just thought I would add this before we go out and lynch all the coarse fishing enthusiasts (for the record I don't fish for coarse fish in NZ)