February 10, 201313 yr comment_519705 Not allowed to ship natives between Islands sorry... well then godly i retract my offer. learn something new every day hey 8) Report
February 11, 201313 yr comment_519834 not allowed for fish and crayfish, so I would assume the same for shrimp etc Report
February 11, 201313 yr Author comment_519841 Did a water change tonight as the water reeked of dead shrimp, hopefully this doesn't cause the rest to die especially cause I'm off to Napier until Thursday. I also learned that minnows are damn stupid and swim right up to the siphon tube, three of them did this but seem to have gotten away with just minor dizziness. Will need to rig a net up to the end of my old gravel vac. Report
February 11, 201313 yr comment_519871 havent got time to re read the rest of this thread Sam but I would imagine the water is getting too warm for them and oxygen is becoming depleted. Can you rig up an extra air stone? Report
February 16, 201313 yr comment_520163 i've had a few of my 50 or so die off already, some died within hours of being added to the tank, few more over the last week, but most of them are still there prancing around like the weird little aliens they are.. they love eating hikari carnivore pellets. the shrimp will grab a crumb, run off to the other side of the tank and hide away from the fish to devour it. gobys and bullies are cleaning out the carcasses of the dead shrimp, just leaving shells. anyway. tank has not gone over 22, usually sits around 20-21. what's the lifespan of dem shrimpy brothers anyway? i assume that in the wild many shrimp don't make it to womanhood (aka adulthood) anyway. Report
February 16, 201313 yr comment_520166 some of mine lived over 6 months - the last remaining hardy ones from my original batch of 20 or so Report
February 16, 201313 yr comment_520167 some of mine lived over 6 months - the last remaining hardy ones from my original batch of 20 or so did they get noticeably much bigger in that time? Report
February 16, 201313 yr comment_520169 I can't remember. I didn't notice them growing though they were bigger than the ones we caught the other day by the time the last ones died. If shrimp shed their skin when they grow then yes they did grow, many a time I thought I had a dead shrimp but it was only a shell. Report
February 16, 201313 yr Author comment_520202 This is the tank as of tonight. 0 visible shrimp All WCMM doing fine 'cept for one looking a bit thin and weak unfortunately. Report
February 17, 201313 yr Author comment_520238 Thanks guys! I predict that by the end of April this tank will be looking its best 8) Report
March 1, 201313 yr Author comment_521462 Neglected the tank a bit over the past half month, gave the sides a good clean with a dish washing brush and a toothbrush so I can actually see inside the tank now Algae seems to stay on the glass and rocks, moss and hairgrass both doing VERY well Report
March 2, 201313 yr Author comment_521550 Thanks for the feedback guys! Not keen on how the rock work is being hidden by the hair grass, if I could grow glosso then I think that would be a better choice for this tank. Or stronger rock work of course :lol: Report
March 3, 201313 yr comment_521563 Thanks for the feedback guys! Not keen on how the rock work is being hidden by the hair grass, if I could grow glosso then I think that would be a better choice for this tank. Or stronger rock work of course :lol: Time to get out the scissors then Sam! Report
March 24, 201313 yr Author comment_523313 All going well, will post pics after this weeks water change. Report
March 24, 201313 yr comment_523314 Hi Sam, Tanks looking nice. Sorry for not reading through every page, but what temperature do you find it is sitting at? I havent run any heaters on my small tanks since about november and they all sit around the low to mid 20's. Report
March 24, 201313 yr Author comment_523321 Haven't checked in a while but was around 23-25 throughout Summer, maxing at 27 but not falling below 17 even with ice. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.