Coldwater Iwagumi

SamH

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks cool. The shrimp look like they still have some green colouring too.

If you fire some presoaked flakes in using a dropper/baster then they will get it at the bottom but you might have to drop some on the top first to distract the fish. :cophot:

I did a water change and algae clean up, found a couple dead and a few more shells. Then after the water change all the WCMM were acting funny but the shrimp seemed normal. I think I've lost another dozen shrimp from what I can see, maybe 30% shocked them? :dunno:

Neon said lots of hers are gone too but her boatmen are still alive. My first batch also disappeared down to 4 in a week or 2. Did you use water conditioner? I don't think crustaceans like it.

Didn't you also say they were quite young ones? Other than that I suspect it's normal attrition/shock for little critters taken from the wild to die :tears: . In the stream they would get alot more oxygen than in the tank, maybe it is combination of that and shock of captivitiy.

i dunno but i reckon it's too warm in dis here places right now to keep dem shrimpy brothers in a home tank. last summer when i done it, they were ok for a bit but they had a real bad habit of legging up and turning pink, figured it was them being cooked... tank usually well over 22. still gonna give it a try gen, netting dem up in albany tamorrow, will get back to yas how it goes

went netting in lucas creek in albany today, in under half an hour i had netted approximately 50-60 shrimp and a couple of baby bullies, common i think.

all are now in my unheated planted tank which has been sitting between 20-22c for the last couple of days.

most of the shrimp are quite small. i will let you know how they fare in my tank. hoping they will clean out the hair grass.

so fun to watch, such little busy bodies!

spent another hour trying to net some of the many inanga there. but they are way too fast. plus i was being stalked by a couple of really big eels who were probably well aware i was stealing their lunch hahaha but seriously they were some of the biggest eels i've ever seen, pretty sure they were long fins. also saw a huge carp or koi fish there. i was meaning to take a thermometer to see the temp of their natural habitat but forgot. dammit.

i thought the shrimp like it cold.. wonder what their limit is. the streams up here get quite cold through winter, obviously not as cold as down there.

what's your technique? i look for areas where there is green plants growing around the edges and in the shallow parts of the stream, and drag my net through the plants. seems to be the only place they are. i've never caught any where there is no plants growing out of the water.