Unknown freshwater issue

brett2003

different species and even individual fish will have different oxygen requirements

so low DO in water will affect some quicker than others

yip it can also be seen as random deaths over a long time because it kinda goes like this..

1. fish dies

2. oh no!

3. does water change

4. few days later 2nd fish dies

5. oh shiv!

6. bigger water change (gives more oxygen into the water)

7. few days plus a few days later 3rd fish dies

8. whats going on!

9. series of water changes

10. no fish die

11. stops regular water changes

12. fish dies week later (depending on tank size, size of fish, quantity of fish)

13. is it still not fixed i don't know whats goin on!!!!

14. headache sets in judgement goes cloudy colt 45 looks friendly

15. step 16 gets spread out due to water changes that are sporadic and still not completely fixing the problem

16. fish die faster due to damaged lungs till 1 fish survives (or close to)

usually the most active fish the bigger fish or fish that usually live in high oxygen environments die first also sickly fish will sometimes out live apparently healthy happy fish because of this

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im quite interested in this because i did have the exact same problem before i also had 3 tanks i had a community tank a barb tank and a platy tank, the barb tank was fine but the other 2 was just losing so many fish just as a idea does anyone outside the north shore have this problem? and even more specific outside between northcote and glenfield? im thinking it might be a water supply problem something our tests just are not showing up an odd salt or additive or something

the TB idea sounds valid too tho

When you detect that smell at a swimming pool most people think it is too much ckhlorine but it is actually no chlorine---it has been used up and is now monochloramine. The smell goes away if you add more chlorine. Local authorities try to maintain a small amount of free available chlorine at your kitchen tap but it is not easy and usually doesn't happen.

im quite interested in this because i did have the exact same problem before i also had 3 tanks i had a community tank a barb tank and a platy tank, the barb tank was fine but the other 2 was just losing so many fish just as a idea does anyone outside the north shore have this problem? and even more specific outside between northcote and glenfield? im thinking it might be a water supply problem something our tests just are not showing up an odd salt or additive or something

the TB idea sounds valid too tho

I was in greenhithe when having the issue - i don't think they are in the same water supply area?

anyone have a map of that?

it's not the water, or water conditions. i've had this problem in last house in glenfield now i'm in milford same thing. it only started 10 months ago, i've been keeping fish for around 5 years. also, my other fish are sweet, convict is super active and very colourful, jag is colouring up nicely, all other fish are acting normal. it's just that every now and then, one fish starts acting drunk and is dead within hours. sometimes the scales fall off them, sometimes nothing seems wrong with them. it's really quite frustrating.

it's just that every now and then, one fish starts acting drunk and is dead within hours. sometimes the scales fall off them, sometimes nothing seems wrong with them. it's really quite frustrating.

I get that too, mostly with platies. I have no idea what it is either :-?

Following UV disinfection the treated effluent is pumped 7 kilometres then it is distributed between two 4 hectare man made wetlands at Te Maunga before being pumped out to sea through a 3 kilometre pipe line which extends 950 metres off shore. This ocean discharge pipe handles both the effluent from Chapel St and Te Maunga wastewater treatment plants.

although very hard for anything to survive through the treatment, Tauranga waste is eventually pumped into the sea

the RTS was well dead when i flushed it. i wouldn't ever flush a sick fish, it's quite cruel. plus i'd never miss the opportunity to kill something for good reasons.

anyway, let's not get off topic. it seems that this mystery disease is widespread enough to cause concern. but it seems that nobody here can actually help much at all... possibly the wrong place to seek aquatic expertise.. maybe i should ask the staff at animates...