Unknown freshwater issue

brett2003

the RTS was well dead when i flushed it. i wouldn't ever flush a sick fish, it's quite cruel. plus i'd never miss the opportunity to kill something for good reasons.

anyway, let's not get off topic. it seems that this mystery disease is widespread enough to cause concern. but it seems that nobody here can actually help much at all... possibly the wrong place to seek aquatic expertise.. maybe i should ask the staff at animates...

italics sounds way worse than you meant it lol.

yep - seems to be a lot of us experiencing the same thing. i wonder if a discussion and digging at hff would uncover anything similar with their stock.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have accepted that some fish are going to die no matter how well I care for them, and I do fuss over my fish.

I just think that imported fish are delicate little creatures that have undergone all manner of stress and tribulation to get to us, and that would be enough to weaken them to make easy prey for bacteria or parasites that could cause harm. We've upset the flow of nature by bringing the fish in and taking it out of its natural environment, I think it's a risk inherent with the hobby.

Also it's impossible to know how old many imported fish are, unless you know the supplier - even if they are small they might just be runty rather than young.

Fish bred in captivity should be easier to predict what is bothering them as it's likely you'd know a bit more of the history, but again, unless you're a biologist and a vet, you may never know what killed the fish.

I think it's Jaxxnz whose signature is 'fish come and go' and I think that's pretty true.

I think sometimes that we do not take into account the stress that fish are often put through before they even get exported. they are generally grossly overcrowded in poor water. I understand that one of the problems with many imported guppies is that they are raised in ponds in outlying islands where land is cheaper and there is a lot of seawater ingress into the ponds. When I imported goldfish years ago they all came back from Maf with the statement that they had kidney damage from being overcrowded in poor water conditions.

I have accepted that some fish are going to die no matter how well I care for them, and I do fuss over my fish.

I just think that imported fish are delicate little creatures that have undergone all manner of stress and tribulation to get to us, and that would be enough to weaken them to make easy prey for bacteria or parasites that could cause harm. We've upset the flow of nature by bringing the fish in and taking it out of its natural environment, I think it's a risk inherent with the hobby.

Also it's impossible to know how old many imported fish are, unless you know the supplier - even if they are small they might just be runty rather than young.

Fish bred in captivity should be easier to predict what is bothering them as it's likely you'd know a bit more of the history, but again, unless you're a biologist and a vet, you may never know what killed the fish.

I think it's Jaxxnz whose signature is 'fish come and go' and I think that's pretty true.

but for an entire tank of africans all taken out over a 2-3 month period in a well established tank set up for over a year with no issues?? thats not just some fish dying randomly.

Yes, a whole tank dying would indicate a contagious disease of some sort, like what happened to my CPDs. But what I'm asking is do you know where they came from all the way back to the egg, and who has cared for them (or not) along the way? Do you know of every bug and parasite that is living in your tank? Were they similar ages, were they inbred, there are so many variables.... if the whole tank has gone you have the opportunity to bleach it out and start again at least.

Yes, a whole tank dying would indicate a contagious disease of some sort, like what happened to my CPDs. But what I'm asking is do you know where they came from all the way back to the egg, and who has cared for them (or not) along the way? Do you know of every bug and parasite that is living in your tank? Were they similar ages, were they inbred, there are so many variables.... if the whole tank has gone you have the opportunity to bleach it out and start again at least.

no, you are right on that. but given that one supplies of all of our various species of fish down to the egg etc would be suppling so many other stores/ares in NZ it would be a much more wide spread problem. i had a tank of various ages. some over a year, others a few months old. disgustipated has had 5? maybe 6? now die of the similar thing, and there are how man others now with the same issue in on the shore/auckland? there must be some link between us all, that is higher up than the eggs of the fish dying

we are merely speculating, apologies if anyone misunderstood.

i personally think it's important to get to the bottom of this issue before it spreads.

i thought that notifying people that they may possibly have a disease is a logical step in the process of resolving and/or preventing this issue from spreading...