Where I spent some of last weekend

blueether

DSCN0766.JPG

DSCN0805.JPG

These are the two little streams that I had a poke around in last Friday night and Saturday morning. Pitched the tent about 3m from the stream on a small bank.

DSCN0759.JPG

Bully (common? or Cran's)

DSCN0780.JPG

Planaria

DSCN0786.JPG

DSCN0773.JPG

Fissidens spp

DSCN0814.JPG

DSCN0818.JPG

Trout

DSCN0823.JPG

Dolomedes aquaticus

DSCN0830.JPG

Shortjaw kokopu, Galaxias postvectis

DSCN0840.JPG

Male Cran's bully, Gobiomorphus basalis

More photos here: Fish and Water, Kaniwhaniwha stream

Just wondering if the legal size limit applies if you are taking fish home to keep them in an aquarium?

It's illegal to take the introduced, common, invasive predatory species out of the wild. It's perfectly legal to take the delicate threatened native species though....

• 4 weeks later...

Trout do not do well in ponds as they require cold highly oxygenated water. I know from experience---not that I would take undersized trout without a licence. They lasted a couple of years and hardly grew at all. Had to get rid of them when maf were coming around to give approval for quarantine (white clouds also). Put some in the local oxidation ponds and they lasted a couple of years as well.

Apparently there was a HUGE battle when they were trying to change the law to allow salmon farming. It was an ELECTION ISSUE would you believe?!

The massive legal protections for trout and salmon largely stem from the settlers' reactions to the English angling scene, where it was mostly limited to the upper classes who either owned trout streams, or could buy access to them. Hence not being allowed to farm, own or sell them, and access may not be charged for, nor private stocks owned.

Today I had my first conversation with another human being in 10 days. It was with a trout fisherman who said that native fish were only trout food and it doesn't matter what happens to them as they aren't part of the economy. I was torn between walking out and leaving my pile of dishes in the camp sink, and sucking it down just so I could have a conversation. :facepalm: