Wild aquarium fish in NZ

Stella

I am writing a fieldguide on freshwater fish in NZ and currently working on the Poeciliid section (gambusia, guppies, mollies, swordtails, leopardfish. Got a few questions.

Known distributions. This is what the scientists know, but aquarists are more likely to know others!

Guppies - around Reparoa, north of Taupo (Waihunuhunu, Kawaunui and Waiotapu streams)

Mollies - Tokaanu/Waihi wetland south of Lake Taupo

Swordtails - only Waipahihi Stream, Taupo (probably extinct)

Leopardfish - scientists know of one site in Kamo, Whangarei, but you guys have told me about sites in Western Springs (Auckland), Wellington, and Ohauiti, Tauranga (near old tropical fish farm).

The Waipahihi Stream in Taupo is an interesting site, having had guppies, swordtails and mollies. From my reading I *think* this is the history, but I would love it if someone could confirm this:

1. guppies and mollies present

2. circa 40 years ago developments changed the temperature and they both went extinct

3. mollies then introduced at the Tokaanu/Waihi wetland south of Lake Taupo

4. swordtails introduced to Waipahihi Stream

5. further developments in recent years cooled the stream and swordtails are probably extinct.

Are there any other freshwater aquarium fish species (apart from goldfish and koi) that are in the wild in NZ? What about white cloud mountain minnows? Surely they are around!

Some people might worry about mentioning sites in case MAF or whoever they are now go and eradicate them. The reality is the above species are confined to geothermally warmed water and cannot spread, or are not confined but haven't spread, thus are a local curiosity and to be honest no one really cares that they are there. However it is important that other new species are known about in the wild, so it can be checked to see if there is a potentially major threat. In which case they might be eradicated (though sadly this is usually really difficult in practise) and you can take the credit for saving the country from the next water-weasel ;)

like to add that the old fish farm in TGA has now been bulldozed and the hot water bore shut down, last look I had there was nothing in there (for that matter nothing native either)

saw a strange white looking fish tonight with blueether in Tga, i'm gonna go back and find it, looked kinda like an really white gambusia.

also saw a platie once in the wairoa river, also saw the knob emptying his tank into the river :P

(must also point out I didn't see his fist coming when my mouth got the better of me)

LOL no one was around to make records then! :P

My understanding is that there have been lakes there before, and every couple of thousand years they get vaporised by eruptions. The last eruption would have wiped out all life in the lake, and also poisoned all the fish in the rivers to the north-east. Diadromous (sea-migratory) species recolonised once the water was healthy again, but the non-diadromous Cran's bully couldn't easily return, though some have.

This is the distribution of the Cran's bully, the gap is pretty obvious:

cransbully_5.gif

damn water weasels.

went back for another look tonight, i'm sure its a gambusia just really light coloured. hopefully it will just provide live food for the kokopu. Still havent caught it so it may be a released guppy (fingers crossed) I know some of the people around there have released goldfish in there before, im assuming their tropical attempt went the same way

ENVY!!! I so want to see tadpole shrimp!

Apparently there are lots in the South Island (though I have just missed the season here). We were looking for them around Manawey live in ephemeral (temporary) pools, which of course have been agricultured out of existence now.

if I catch some I'll keep some for next time you come this way stella.

that nice of you :thup:

was it the river on SH2 just before lockington road when heading away from TGA????

or was it further upstream.

sonuds about rigth,,the cool store on your left heading away from tga,,as you turn into the cool store theres a little gravel rd which takes you down to a parking area and you end up rigth under the bridge..

if it is I can drop the missus off at the winery and spend hours up there :P

:rotf: :rotf: ill give you more time to play,, :slfg: