the fish rooms im building *photos*

ilwis

Hey all sorry about taking so long to get back on here for some reason I haven't been able to get on here for about a week

So a bit of a update

I've insulated one of the rooms with poly 50mm HD :) (that will have to be the breeding room the MAF one will take a little longer because ill have to save some money for MAF and resourcing )

I'm in the process of making tanks (a little nervous on trying to cut the 6mm tho) so doing fry tanks with 3mm at the moment

Also I've finally got some better answers from MAF about the requirements for the building kinda got a bit stumped with the anti contamination room tho but ill come up with some brilliant idea (I hope), and every thing else on the list seems quite do able so I'm happy about that!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe its my inexperence but every bit of 6m ive done has gone wayward i can get perfect clean cuts almost every time on 3 and 4 mm but 6 and above just goes off on its own tangent and ive gone and bought a new glass cutter but still same problem

also another update ive almost finished all the shelving ive got a few of the tanks in there ready for the water and filters to go in so hopefully ill get most of that done this weekend

also Old glass is VERY hard to cut properly, new glass easy....

a lot of 6mm you will buy is actually quite old, easiest way to tell is to measure with a micrometer the edges of the glass,

if they are not all very similar it is new, if one edge is noticeably thicker it is old glass...

little fact to blow your mind... Glass is technically a Liquid.

I've been looking at housing, and see that converting shipping containers into affordable housing is quite the rage at the moment. There's a young architectural couple in Wgton that did one that was featured on TV3 ... their prototype sells for $90K. But you can pick up used containers for a few $k, spray the insides with insulation foam, and use it as a fish room??

http://www.port-a-bach.com/ - $90k container as a bach

And there's also a crowd in Tauranga making houses of multiple containers. Seems you could easily get quite a large facility this way.

http://www.containerarchitecture.co.nz/portfolio/5.html

I've been looking at housing, and see that converting shipping containers into affordable housing is quite the rage at the moment. There's a young architectural couple in Wgton that did one that was featured on TV3 ... their prototype sells for $90K. But you can pick up used containers for a few $k, spray the insides with insulation foam, and use it as a fish room??

http://www.port-a-bach.com/ - $90k container as a bach

And there's also a crowd in Tauranga making houses of multiple containers. Seems you could easily get quite a large facility this way.

http://www.containerarchitecture.co.nz/portfolio/5.html

New a family that had done that in the late '90s using 3 containers in a U with a courtyard in the middle, quite nice setup

most of it is not that old of glass so and ill im doing is putting some wd40 on the blade and it works well on the 3 mm but the thicker glass just gives me problems

also im thinking about lining the walls with sheet plastic kinda like the garden stuff and sealing it with silicone so ill be able to wash them all down no problem

another update on the rooms

so i have all but one rack of shelves made in the breeding room

ive installed the air line, ive been planning on using one of 2 air pumps my main one was one of those tire pump that plugs into the ciggrate lighter of the car (wharehouse $20) it was a old one i had around, it worked fantastic! except how noisy it was then it just stopped for some reason, i think it might of blowen the transformer i had it running off, my backup so far is a pump that has 4 outlets it very quiet and quite large (cant remember the name from memory its grey) but its not particually powerful i dont think i could split it much at all so i might make some modifacations to the car one or buy another one recomended to me at hollywood fish farm

im thinking i would rather the car one because it provides alot of pressure so one could prob do the air in both rooms but its just the noise is quiet lould and i would want to find a way to turn it off at pressures and add a pressure cylinder to it this might end up costing more but if it can decrease the noise of it it might be worth my time

ive also added 50mm poly to the floor of the room with a corragated plastic over it, eventuallly ill put wood under that, and i picked up a heater that will heat the room to 35c max (or whatever temp i want) (im thinking about 29c)

i have a few tanks in there but have found my largest (120 x 45 x45) has a hole in the bottom so ill have to drain that and repair it, it was given to me it had a break in the bottom and someone had tried to repair it but failed

i dont have any fish in there yet i want to get the room sorted first work out the kinks in it have it running happy for a week without fish then ill start putting fish in

once i have this room going in a way im happy with ill have another talk with maf and get working on the quarteen room but i dont want to get too much into that one yet till i know this one works well and what i need to do so i can do it right first time

I found that a low pressure high volume pump was best as you want a lot of air but only at a moderate pressure. I still have the pump that I used for about 60 tanks. It is a "woble"---I think that is how you spell it. It was very good but noisy. I put it in a noise proofing box in the garage next door to the shed. You may find the MPI require a completely seperate air pump for quarantine.

I found that a low pressure high volume pump was best as you want a lot of air but only at a moderate pressure. I still have the pump that I used for about 60 tanks. It is a "woble"---I think that is how you spell it. It was very good but noisy. I put it in a noise proofing box in the garage next door to the shed. You may find the MPI require a completely seperate air pump for quarantine.

i am expecting that maf may want a seprate air system or at least oneway valves

ive been trying to find how i can make a sound proofing box did you make yours? i still have some of the 50mm poly but im unsure if that will help much but i might make a box out of it to try it out, this pump i got form the wharehouse would be fantastic for the job if i can make it quieter and regulate the pressure because the allowence of the pump is able to pressure up to 120psi (i know i only need about 5-12psi) it means i should be able to have alot of tanks off the one pump without having to worry about it in future

the "woble" or piston/diafram airpumps are quite good i would like one like that but basically since im just setting up i kinda have to treat the setup like a hobbie i cant put all my income into it right away or my wife might starve because i spent all the food money on fish related things, so hense the reason on trying to find inovative ways to make it work cheaply evin tho fish are not cheap

I doubt that the small compressor you have will last when run continually. I think you would be better of with a proper compressor, something like http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/online-store/products/Blackridge-1HP-Air-Compressor.aspx?pid=296171&menuFrom=80101#Description?

edit for the correct compressor and not the $899 one ;)

wow that one looks great ive been kinda vearing away from compressors like that because of the noise they will make and with it being right outside the house im not wanting to bother the neighbour's with the noise the little one is quite alot quieter but still not silent and its small enough i can keep it in the room so it can curculate warm air into the water not cold air from outside

I think you are better to bring the air from outside so it is fresh. The amount of heat stored in air is minimal compared to the amount in the water.

i didnt think about it that way but i think with the flow of fresh cold water running directly into the tank it will cool the water quicker than the heater can heat the water since its radient heat to heat the tank

it would be benifical to have the fresh air tho

I always worked on having the greatest volume of water that you can conveniently work with and that becomes you heat store. There is definately an economy of scale with breeding and quarantine so the more fish you can breed and raise and the more you can import the better. It costs the same to raise 100 fish as a thousand pretty much. When the place is loaded with fish you will find the air becomes fouled and you will need to flush the air from the room periodically or it becomes hard work just being there. The heat is in the water and it takes little heat to reheat the air.