Xmas Wish list

F15hguy

Ok, so what do you expect from our importers?

At the end of the day, they are not in it for the love of fish, for improving the stock availability in NZ, or to do any of us any favours. They are a business.

Why should they fork out hundreds or possibly thousands to import a batch of fish, when they are only going to be able to sell a couple from that batch? And then the people who bought them will breed them, stick them on TM, and they won't be worth squat anymore.

Here's a likely scenario: (prices are examples only)

An importer gets 50 new fish in to the country, it cost the importer $10000. They try to sell the fish at $300 to help cover the importation costs.

2 people buy a pair each, and a 3rd buys 2 pairs (8 all up). That's $2400. Those people complain about the cost, but they want the fish. Many more just complain.

The people who bought the fish then get them to breed. Yay!

They then have surplus of said fish. They sell the young on TradeMe or via other means, for $150 each. Nice little profit for them.

Meanwhile, the importer now has 42 fish that he has to stock, feed, etc. that won't sell, because everyone can get them cheaper elsewhere. He would have to drop his prices to $180 per fish just to break even, which is still above the current market rate.

If you can fork out the dosh, go for it. Import the fish you love. But don't moan about importers.

At the end of the day, why should they be stuck with the bill, when they are trying to run a business?

Sheepsnana you expect a fish not to have an anal tube and not to breed when they reach to age/size? :dunno:

Its the name of the game baby!

I do understand its a risky business, retailer making profit so are the importer..

if they want to test the market for buyers, there are better way of taking quantity order from customers iam saying!

(If you can fork out the dosh, go for it. Import the fish you love. But don't moan about importers.)""

If i and others keep our silent, then you think we will get what we wanted?? :digH:

{Please if you are happy with what you got, then u can keep your silent, I wont!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all very well saying you won't keep silent, but bleating about it isn't going to do much either. If you're as determined as you say you are, put your money where your mouth is and organise your own import (as others on this forum have done). It's very easy to say the importers won't be taking much risk, but you don't seem willing to take it yourself

It's all very well saying you won't keep silent, but bleating about it isn't going to do much either. If you're as determined as you say you are, put your money where your mouth is and organise your own import (as others on this forum have done). It's very easy to say the importers won't be taking much risk, but you don't seem willing to take it yourself

Determined =is desperate" for a fishkeeper!

yes! if for a fancy Arowana then is worth trying to organise your own importing!

but for a cichlids worth $$30-$50 you saying every1 should be knocking on the importer doors and begging them to quarantine it on behalf??

My Risk"= As i and other have said, we willing to show you the money" (deposit)

so u show us the fish!!

Which is exactly the point. You want a few fish at $30 to $50 each. Hardly worth a commercial business doing an import for. When an import costs thousands of dollars you showing up with you $100 isn't going to make anyone jump to it. Bottom line, getting new species into the country cost a lot of money and noones going to do it unless they can make the money back (and a profit). Even saying you'll pay up front won't do anything because the money you are talking about is such a small fraction of the importation cost.

Sheepsnana you expect a fish not to have an anal tube and not to breed when they reach to age/size? :dunno:

Its the name of the game baby!

I know they will breed. The importer does too. Which is why they aren't importing fish that are hard to sell on.

I do understand its a risky business, retailer making profit so are the importer..

if they want to test the market for buyers, there are better way of taking quantity order from customers iam saying!

As I said, if you have the dosh, go for it. It's the quantity orders that are the issue. Do you want 2, or 50? They're much more likely to import 50 at $50 than 2 at $50. See above for math. :roll:

(If you can fork out the dosh, go for it. Import the fish you love. But don't moan about importers.)""

If i and others keep our silent, then you think we will get what we wanted?? :digH:

{Please if you are happy with what you got, then u can keep your silent, I wont!

I'm not saying keep silent, I'm saying don't complain about this or that not being imported. If you want it, say "I want xxxxxx. I have $5000. Who's got it?"

You two are running some stupid numbers without thinking iam not the only customers that is going to buy that fish! :sage:

Iam not the type of people tht is wasting my time screaming n shouting just to get 2 fish..

Put it this way there are more petshop that are selling fish, not just Hollywood! so if u are a importer with only one petshop connection then u shldnt be in that kind of business!

The importer take risk to make a profit, and the retailer are on the same boat, that was always been the case in this trade!!

So I don't see any different them bring in a Borneo tiger compare to a festae'

my xmass wish is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,anthor 12footer may be bigger,, :bounce: :nilly:

Our Xmas wish is ,,,,,,,,,,, Because we keep our silency,

moaning is when some1 owing u something"

Puppy bitching will get some attention" :slfg:

So I don't see any different them bring in a Borneo tiger compare to a festae'

jack has a point here.

if importing new species is not profitable, and such a high risk, then we wouldn't have had any exotic fish species imported here in the first place? but we already have so many already here to choose from (something i don't take for granted)

at the end of the day it is entirely up to the importers to be able to spot a market opening and fill it. they really are the only ones with the knowledge and experience to decide... so all we can do is make a noise and hope it sways their decisions 8)

Importers over many years establish a good relationship with a very small number of exporters. They therefore only order the fish that they have available and at the price (and therefore size) that they want to pay. Freight is very expensive so they also order fish at the size that is most economical for them. When you order fish the exporters expect the money in US dollars up front and if you order from a new exporters it is not unheard of for the money to disappear down a black hole. They also need to sell the fish they import as they can't afford to have tanks with fish in when they bring in the next shipment. It is a requirement to have the fish regularly available to sell to the retailers that are their clients. Some fish are very risky to import for various reasons---not available from their exporter, not available at their prefered size or price from their exporter, frequently die during quarantine, frequently carry diseases that frighten the hell out of the inspectors or frequently carry diseases that are very expensive to test for.

For this reason most importers are happy to continue to bring in the fish that they normally import. For these reasons I hope you all have a great xmas dreaming of what might have been.