Sophia's planted riverbed... update pg 10

Sophia

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Tuesday I wormed this tank and the 2 skinny loaches took a turn for the worse the same night. One of the skinny ones has disappeared and the other is fading away. This is where one of them has spent much of the week, or nestled in bit of bolbitis.

IMG_1790.jpg

:(

Try not to overworm if you can help it. As long as the worms aren't causing disease, they can be beneficial for immune stimulation. On the other hand, if a fish is already unwell, a worm burden can kill. Also, if there is a high worm burden, deworming can cause a big die-off and could also kill the fish...

Also, you might think about offering your loaches some algae wafers (not just spirulina tabs). They have big guts designed for vegetation in their omnivorous diet. It might take weeks to see a difference since the beneficial bacteria in their gut will be adapting to the change, but it should help in the long run to keep them from wasting away. Hopefully not too late for the sick ones though.

I expect it's too late for the sick ones all round, as I waited till they were extremely thin before treating, just in case the change of scenery, bigger filter etc gave an improvement. I've never seen a Mr Skinny return to health after being that thin.

Which wafers do you think I should get? I use Hikari sinking wafers, and Wardley shrimp pellets as well as their other foods.

p-157463-aquarium-fish-supply.jpg

Theoretically the Hikari should be fine but I have had loaches for about 20 years and I just think they do better with some proper algae wafers as well. Agreed about the Novo Pleco wafers, I also like the Omega One shrimp pellets. That with the Hikari you are feeding should be a good combination. Again though, there is no promise that will cure your guy, he may have a virus or something. :(

my fish suffer from over feeding if nothing else.....

I will have a look at other wafers next time I'm at HFF. Which will be this weekend because living so close is just too tempting :slfg:

The 2 skinny loaches must be dead, I haven't seen them for days and now only see the 4 fatties. I thought I saw one in a crevice of the tunnel that is accessible from inside and outside but haven't seen them since. I hope they have been eaten by their cousins and are not just rotting away and fungussy in there. I think I will get the dropper and blow some air through the crevices and see if anything floats out.

• 3 weeks later...

2 mins 46 of all new footage!

Now there are 3 new residents… if anyone looked at the Bronze corydoras at HFF Mt Roskill a few weeks ago they would have seen that one of them was HUGE compared to his tankmates. Well, this is he (or she). I decided that since he is at least twice the size of the TruckDrivers (aka the loxozonus cories) that his name would be Big Mack. Also now in here are 2 mature peppered corydora, one with a bit of a high fin.

Big Mack is an active fellow and snorts bloodworms up his snout and out his gills. He will stop to chew them after a few snorts, he gets a bit carried away.

The big peppered cories are still quite shy, they like to sit on the rocks under the java fern, confusing me by sitting in a T shape, but only sitting there resting.

So total occupants at present: 4 dwarf chain loaches, 3 small peppered cories, 2 big ones, Big Mack and the 3 loxozonus.

The brown algae that riddled my rasbora/crypt tank has arrived here so the best I can do is polish it off once a week and hope it doesn’t get much worse. It seems to favour the rocks, anubias and bolbitis but so far hasn’t got a hold on the java fern.

Also now the fish have the hikari algae wafers which everybody loves.

looks cool and i love your cories!

but i reckon you should put a schooling fish in there.

glow light danios would be effective IMO the tank does mimic their natural enviroment with large rocks and moderate flow.

EDIT: i realize the mistake i made. cories and loaches are schooling fish too. i meant ofcoarse mid swimming schooling fish. q:

I thought about doing that but decided I'd rather have a dedicated bottom feeder tank. It's also really easy to make sure that the bottom feeders get fed properly because they aren't competing with the fast swimming fish, and I wanted to see if I could get eggs that wouldn't be eaten by a schooling fish.

There are 4 loaches, which do swim around in all areas of the water though. I would like to make the group up to about 7 again as that will bring them out a bit more, but I worry I'll have too many fish in there.

• 2 weeks later...

Came back from being out for a couple hours and found 4 large eggs - 1 on a leaf, 2 on the back wall, 1 on the filter box. They are white frosty looking, like a little snowball but they don't have any fungus. Is it OK to scrape them off and put them in a net box in the tank? I don't have a spare airstone or pump so I can't do what has been suggested to others and put them in a box with tank water and an airstone. I could also leave them and just see what happens of course.

this is the first time I've seen cories spawning. They are doing it all over the place and every now and then an egg goes flying out. Some aren't going to survive as they are landing in or near the sand but the ones that go into the rocks might be ok. How come some get flung and some get stuck to things?

Depending on who else you have in the tank the eggs will be fine to stay where they are. I kept corys with dwarf gouramis and they bred and raised young just fine (had to plug the filter inlet though).

In my other tank the angel and clown loach eat the eggs almost immediately. I don't even have time to try and get them out.