Lucky bamboo

GrahamC

Around xmas time I bought a few stems of lucky bamboo. I've been changing the water every couple of weeks or more frequently using the water from my goldfish tank. The stems are kept away from direct sunshine and I've not added any micronutrients. But several of the stems have now started to yellow from the top down.

Is fish water laden with nitrates too strong for these guys? Or should I be adding micronutrients?

Mine does the same and doesnt seem to come right. Hasnt died either though and ive had it a couple of years. Doesnt seem to grow or get new shoots either. Roots are healthy.

They supposedly dont like rich soil or food so i dont feed it my fish water just rain water.

I would love to know how to make it look healthy too.

Caring for Your Lucky Bamboo

Light: Lucky bamboo prefer bright, filtered sunlight, such as found under a rainforest canopy. Avoid direct sunlight as it will scorch the leaves. They are more tolerant of too little light than too much. If the plant begins to stretch, however, or the green fades, provide more light.

Watering: Lucky bamboo can grow indefinitely in a simple vase filled with pebbles (for support) and at least an inch of water. However, they are very sensitive to chlorine and other chemicals commonly found in tap water. Water your lucky bamboo only with bottled or distilled water, or tap water that has been left out for 24 hours to allow the chlorine to evaporate. Healthy lucky bamboo roots are red, so don't be alarmed in a glass vase if you can see red roots. Finally, good hygiene recommends that you change the water weekly.

Temperature: Lucky bamboo likes warmer temperatures of between 65ºF and 90ºF. Do not place the plants in front of air conditioning or heating vents.

Potting Media: In addition to water, lucky bamboo can be grown in a well-drained, rich potting soil. Keep the soil moist, but not soaking. Water as you would any Dracaena species.

Fertilizer: Plants grown in water will only need to be fed every other month or so, using a very weak liquid fertilizer. A single drop of liquid fertilizer is plenty for most lucky bamboo arrangements. Alternatively, specialty lucky bamboo fertilizers are available.

We have some in a little glass jar and the plant is about 70cm tall it is root bound but still going strong and gets watered every now and then. One thing is that it is right beside the window which is frosted. I also think that being right beside the shower helps keeping it nice and warm and moist.

They prefer to be root bound and sit in water. Mine is also in the small pot with stones it came in and also yellowing. It's in a sunny room but not direct sunlight.

Says on the instructions:

Temperature: requires warm conditoins, indoors only.

Watering: roos need to be submerged in water at all times.

Light: low light, avoid direct sunlight.

OK, but a girl at work has one growing well and it's a bright sunny room at the office - maybe airconditioned rooms help :dunno:

"Q: What causes yellowing?

A: If the plant is exposed to too much sun even once in it's life time it will turn yellow. During the winter if it is kept in extremely cold water it will turn yellow. If it is infected it will turn yellow."

http://askville.amazon.com/bamboo-stalk ... d=54045491

who knows, but mine are doing well at about 20-22C....

"Q: What causes yellowing?

A: If the plant is exposed to too much sun even once in it's life time it will turn yellow. During the winter if it is kept in extremely cold water it will turn yellow. If it is infected it will turn yellow."

http://askville.amazon.com/bamboo-stalk ... d=54045491

who knows, but mine are doing well at about 20-22C....

so in general, your lucky bamboo might turn yellow for a number of reasons or absolutely no reason, and that they like rich/poor wet/dry soil and lot/little light and warm/cold temperatures

is it called lucky because if you get it right your damn lucky???