Surprise snails

Zuri_08

a 1200x600x600 is a nice sized tank but I would say that it is on the larger end of medium tanks for most people other than 'freaks'. another popular mid sized tank would be 3ft x 18in x18in (~900 x 450 x 450) that would give you about 180L to play with

edited for wrong length ;)

I think I'll be happy with small tanks (or small-medium), just maybe not quite as small as 28L in future ;-)

I think I'll be happy with small tanks (or small-medium), just maybe not quite as small as 28L in future ;-)

I suggest something closer to 100L, a 900x300x300mm is a good upgrade from a smaller tank. A bit of room to play with but not too big that it costs too much.

I may be classed as a freak, but I see a small tank as 54L (60cm x 30cm x 30cm).

Small-Medium as 121L (90cm x 45cm x 30cm)

Medium as 182L (90cm x 45cm x 45cm)

Medium-Large as 300L (120cm x 50cm x 50cm)

Large as 648L (120cm x 90cm x 60cm) or (180cm x 60cm x 60cm)

Nice as 1512L (180cm x 120cm x 70cm)

Perfect is 3.0m x 3.0m x 3.0m triangle base, 2.5m high. Built into the house between the lounge and the bar. I'll get pics as soon as Royce fills it.

I suggest something closer to 100L, a 900x300x300mm is a good upgrade from a smaller tank. A bit of room to play with but not too big that it costs too much.

That size sounds good to me too, I've also discovered fish keeping is expensive, so some things will have to wait :-)

If you don't over feed the fish they are not a problem. They have a self controlling mechanism in terms of numbers based of food supply.

They will not breed when there is not enough food around.

I have them in my big tank , I introduced them deliberately, They are never a problem. I just cant catch one to seed my new tank with these invaluable clean up workers.

They are a bit harder for Loaches to kill off.There bio mass versus Loaches if you don;t over feed the tank is possibly negligable,

I'm guessing here but if your tank is fully cycled their Nitrogenous contribution in controlled numbers would be limited.

There positive contribution could outweigh Killing them off.

Lastly if you are seeing them in the day time you are over feeding.

Correct that first imo then make a decision, I am going with Dwarf Loaches because I like them and want rid of my small bladder snail stock.

Good Luck.

I have them in many tanks that are defintely not over fed, they are out and about 24/7 and I have had tanks crash before when too many were there (one hit nitrate levels of over 40 in 3 days with no fish in it) they are not normally an issue, but every now and again they just go mental. normally more of an issue in smaller tanks though

• 2 weeks later...

An update on my Trumpet snails....

(sound effects) nah nah nah nah nah..... screech screech!

They are multiplying!

Still not yet a problem, but I see someone had quite a few babies...

and I can't wait till I have more money and more space... a bigger tank would be awesome (along with all the other animals I want to have ;-) )

1 becomes 2

2 becomes 4

4 becomes 8

8 becomes 16

16 becomes 32

32 becomes 64

64 becomes 128

128 becomes 256

and so on and so forth

That's not quite how it works with snails though. They don't just breed 1 snail each, it's more...

Every week

2 becomes 100

100 becomes 50,000

50,000 becomes 250,000

250,000 becomes 12,500,000

12,500,000 becomes 625,000,000

625,000,000 becomes 31,250,000,000

31,250,000,000 becomes 1,562,500,000,000

1,562,500,000,000 becomes 78,125,000,000,000.

So in 2 months you'll have 78 trillion snails. If they get loose that would be enough to completely cover about 7800 square kilometers and weighing about 3,906,250,000 metric tonnes. That is coincidentally almost exactly the same mass as the entire world's production of crude oil and twice the mass of all the fish in the world. All those starving snails would cover any area from roughly Levin to the bottom of the north island.

The huge mass of snails would either devour every living thing and then migrate northwards eating anything and everything they can before reaching the top of the island. Resulting in somewhere around 4 million deaths and which point they all die of starvation.

Or, being aquatic snails, most simply die at the start and leave us with almost 4 billion tonnes of rotting meat which seeps into the oceans, into the air, polluting everything and causing massive amounts of death in the ocean, spreading disease across the entire country and southern hemisphere. Millions or billions of people dead, massive ecological die offs and extinctions around the world, all because someone didn't control their snail infestation.

Wow thanks for sending frightening images of trumpet snails taking over the world!

I better keep a close eye on those snails and call in reinforcements if they start taking over!

The snails seem quite slow growing; so I guess it will take these little ones a while to grow big enough to produce more young, and as long as there isn't that much food for them I think they should not grow too much :-)