My 450ltr Tank

Godly3vil

Yay, just got my co2 cylinder and it's a lot bigger then I thought :facepalm: 40mm too high to fit under the tank in the stand! I thought it was only an 8kg one but its 9.45kg so should last me quite awhile at least. Now I have 2 choices to decide from, either cutting a hole in the floor of my stand so it can fit nicely in there or running some extra co2 tubing and putting it in the cupboard/wardrobe that is beside the tank - anyone see any problems with this? I am wondering if it will matter much if I run an extra 1.5mtrs of co2 tubing?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone see any problems with this? I am wondering if it will matter much if I run an extra 1.5mtrs of co2 tubing?

You will have minimal problems if you use a very thick tubing. Not all tubing is created equal. Silicone is the most porous. The tubing sold as resistant to CO2 are just thick enough that it doesn't leech out. Be sure you get one way valves in your tubing to protect your regulator. One-way valves will perish in the CO2.

That two mm tubing should be good. I find the glass one-way valves aren't quite as reliable against water leakage but they are non-reactive to CO2 (at least in our lifetime...). It might be good to add one cheapo plastic one before the glass just for a failsafe.

I find the glass one-way valves aren't quite as reliable against water leakage but they are non-reactive to CO2 (at least in our lifetime...). It might be good to add one cheapo plastic one before the glass just for a failsafe.

I agree with this one, never thought of the plastic back up thanks Jen! :hail:

Won't be using a timer with it, it can continually release co2 24 hours a day whenever it picks up a change in the ph. My wet/dry filter already adds dissolved oxygen to the water so am not worried about "gassing" my stock.

That's the theory anyway, will be a trial and error thing I guess. Does anyone have any experience using these?

Does anyone have any experience using these?

Do a quick Google of "planted aquarium ph controller", the links I looked at said it worked but timers on their own or timers with pH controllers save a LOT of CO2. Tom Barr only uses timers and he has no issues.

It would be a waste of co2 if you left it going 24hours and it released Co2 at night. Plants don't use Co2 when the lights are off. and the Co2 should be for the plants, not to control the pH. I think a timer would be better than a pH controller.

Your plants will look really good then they are nice and green, sucking up Co2 and releasing tiny oxygen bubbles. A tank full of pearling plants look awesome.

pH controllers

These work using the principle that gas levels are linked to the aquarium water pH. A solenoid linked to a pH probe will turn the CO2 on and off, depending on a preset pH value determined by the aquarium water KH and by using the table.

As mentioned earlier, CO2 is not the only factor to change pH levels. Due to the nature of most pH controllers the gas is turned on and off many times during a 24-hour photoperiod using a solenoid. You can also have the solenoid linked to the lights so CO2 is not wasted during darkness.

The biggest potential issue with pH controllers is that they produce unstable CO2 levels commonly attributed to algae issues. They are also relatively expensive and the pH probe needs regular calibration. If the probe fails it’s possible for the CO2 to remain on continually, causing an overdose.

Here's the whole article: http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/c ... p?sid=5264

Cheers Jim.

Just finished setting up the pressurized co2 system, ended up using a jigsaw to cut a hole in the floor of the stand so it fits nicely in there. Really need to set up a better diffusion method as both the glass ones I have produce pretty large bubbles which just get wasted by breaching the surface. Discus have settled in great, all seem happy and healthy. The pair are trying to spawn on my filter pipe as I write this so will be moving them into their own tank probably this week.

Here is some more pics;

WP_000097-1.jpg

WP_000103.jpg

WP_000124.jpg

WP_000121.jpg

I thought I had enough plants but cannot seem to help myself from buying and adding more :facepalm:

I have a big bunch of windelov, some H. polysperma, a few more dwarf sag and later this week a huge amount of needle leaf java fern.