My 450ltr Tank

Godly3vil

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll let the tank settle again before I take some more photos, got a really huge piece of anubias barteri var. barteri with leaves about 10-13cm each :o

It's not Anubias Barteri var. Barteri, it is Anubias nana var. Barteri. The leaves are unusally large due to the situation it was grown in. If you think the leaves are big on that piece, wait 'till I get my Anubias Barteri Barteri going (if I don't kill it in the interim!)

Pleased you are happy with the plants! :wink:

No worries! There is quite a bit of confusion and uncertainty around the Anubias species in NZ (as with a lot of aquatic plants).

There are more types available in Australia, but the prices I saw in a Melbourne petshop had me wincing, between $40 and $60 AUD for a piece of Nana Petite or Afzelli!

I now know how high my co2 output can go safely, poor fish were gasping at the surface when I just got home :facepalm:

On another note I now know all the fish I put in there are still alive :thup: haven't seen the A. Trifasciata for a couple days so was starting to get worried but they're fine so w00t!

Cheers bikerbabe - alot more work then I first thought but I am slowly remedying that!

Had my first major plant trim on Tuesday and removed about a bucket of plant cuttings - mainly ambulia and rotala. The swords and crypts are growing amazingly fast and I am amazed with how fast the anubias puts out new leaves - each cutting is producing around 2 leaves per week on average.

Also have noticed a few plants I have put in have had a small amount of BBA on them which is dying off pretty quick - I put this down to steady co2 levels.

On a side note the pair of discus laid eggs on Wednesday night but had eaten them by the time I got up, must be a good sign though if they are willing to do the deed? I will be putting them in their own separate 130ltr tank in the next few weeks once I clean it out and bring it inside.

Anyone have some good beginners tips for me to start breeding them successfully?

Still seriously considering buying a ph controller, my ph just doesn't stay stable - Last night before lights off it was sitting around 6.6 and just checked now before lights on and it is sitting at 7.2, something must be causing it to rise or maybe it is because I have really low kh & gh?

I will check again tonight once the co2 switches off and see what it is.

Still seriously considering buying a ph controller, my ph just doesn't stay stable - Last night before lights off it was sitting around 6.6 and just checked now before lights on and it is sitting at 7.2, something must be causing it to rise or maybe it is because I have really low kh & gh?

I will check again tonight once the co2 switches off and see what it is.

I don't think anything is making it rise. Your CO2 is making it drop. Turn off CO2 injection, concentration drops, PH returns to natural level.

Yeah true Ira, that's what I was meaning to write :slfg:

Still, this constant ph fluctuation can't be good for the fish especially the discus right?

Leave the CO2 on overnight and check it a few times to see what happens? Or start it back up an hour or two earlier?