August 22, 201214 yr comment_493966 Does anyone here keep goldfish in tropical water conditions? Feedback/discussion is most welcome and will be highly interesting/educational. Report
August 22, 201214 yr comment_493976 Is this in relation to a certain auction on a certain site I stumbled across today ? :sml2: Report
August 22, 201214 yr Author comment_493977 Is this in relation to a certain auction on a certain site I stumbled across today ? :sml2: Oh, no, no...not at all Report
August 22, 201214 yr Author comment_493987 perhaps tropical in that they come from another country? Maybe but have never seen tropical goldfish in all my years in fish keeping, which is limited compared to others. Report
August 22, 201214 yr comment_493991 Ive seen people keep goldfish in tropical tanks before for many different reasons, don't think its healthy for the fish though as it does speed up their metabolism. They all looked really healthy though. Goldfish are pretty forgiving as long as you slowly acclimatize them to whatever temp you want to keep them in. Report
August 22, 201214 yr Author comment_493997 perhaps tropical in that they come from another country? Oh come on, most goldfish in NZ are coldwater not tropical. Seems a weird reason to make them tropical. Report
August 22, 201214 yr comment_494004 In Asia (the home of goldfish) they are all 100% tropical. Report
August 22, 201214 yr Author comment_494008 In Asia (the home of goldfish) they are all 100% tropical. Yes, but a natural tropical without the aid of heaters! Like is said "..most goldfish in NZ are coldwater not tropical" Clearly we don't live in Asia so the conditions are different and the comparison is irreverent. Report
August 22, 201214 yr comment_494013 I mean 'tropical' as in 'exotic'.... I've found the auction. I think they don't understand the meanings of all the words they use. Report
August 22, 201214 yr Author comment_494018 I mean 'tropical' as in 'exotic'.... I've found the auction. I think they don't understand the meanings of all the words they use. I beg to differ! They go on to mention the increase in metabolism which suggests that they have some basic knowledge about the relationship between (aquarium) temperature and metabolism. They then also state that they wish "to shut down some of my fish tanks to save on power". Thus, tropical means they have a heater operational in the tank, which you would expect with Angel fish. Report
August 22, 201214 yr comment_494034 Does anyone here keep goldfish in tropical water conditions? Feedback/discussion is most welcome and will be highly interesting/educational. I believe they've been crossbred with coldwater guppies... :slfg: Report
August 22, 201214 yr comment_494038 There Is goldfish at my local doctors which are in a heated tank With a pleco and they seem happy Report
August 22, 201214 yr comment_494042 What does the OP mean by tropical conditions? 22 deg C? 25 deg C ? or what? Report
August 22, 201214 yr comment_494058 In Asia (the home of goldfish) they are all 100% tropical. most of asia is actually temperate, and even te warmer areas get quite cold over winter, I think you will find that goldfish originated from western china near the border of russia, which is a lot colder than NZ over winter Report
August 23, 201214 yr comment_494073 When I imported them they came from Sigapore and went in to heated tanks. Report
August 23, 201214 yr comment_494088 I've kept goldfish in a heated tank with tropicals. The temp was set to about 21 degrees and the tropicals were fish that could tolerate cooler water. I wouldn't have goldfish in a tank heated too high though as, even though they're known to "tolerate anything", I actually think they can't and it's cruel to do so. Report
August 23, 201214 yr comment_494103 its an old trick to heat up the water to increase metabolism and therefore growth, in heated tanks the breeders can get up to 4 times the growth out of their fish, which cuts down costs considerably Report
August 23, 201214 yr comment_494106 Looks like the answer depends on whom you ask. http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/c ... p?sid=2542 says up to 30 deg C. Probably won't live for 40 years though at that temperature. Report
September 2, 201214 yr comment_495438 I had my fantail goldfish in with my tropicals for about a year on 25C. At first I only had 'coldwater guppies' (found out after getting them that they don't really tolerate cold water) so I increased the temp slowly. My fantail goldfish was way more active in the warm water and ate more and it grew a lot. Now it's in a separate tank with the temp set at 21C but it's usually about 23C... heater doesn't work properly obviously... I have an air pump and air stone so there is enough oxygen. My fantails are healthy and happy. I don't know if it will affect how long they live for or not... they seem to be doing really well. Report
September 2, 201214 yr comment_495440 My heaters do the same so I just turn them down a notch until the tank temperature is eventually reached. Report
September 6, 201214 yr comment_495826 Yeah i can't do that with this one the lowest setting on it is 20 or 21 its a jebo Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.