Silicone turning black...

zeebee

Not sure its much help but just offering a reason why it could be there. Not sure if its a manufacturing problem in your case but have seen in the trade mould on (in) silicones from the practice of applying with dirty tools. I have seen it develop later in bathrooms as well. It seems like it actually grows in the silicone which make it impossible to get out.

The lack of mould inhibitors in the silicone could also be a reason.

Not sure its much help but just offering a reason why it could be there. Not sure if its a manufacturing problem in your case but have seen in the trade mould on (in) silicones from the practice of applying with dirty tools. I have seen it develop later in bathrooms as well. It seems like it actually grows in the silicone which make it impossible to get out.

The lack of mould inhibitors in the silicone could also be a reason.

i agree that its mould under the silicone, I would get it replaced under warranty as it can cause leakages in the long term

"The silicone sealant will rot if the algae and mold growth is left untreated"

So even if you use black silicone, you may still end up with a flooded living room.

I have another aqua one that I have had for 5 years and there is nothing on the silicone. Only stained green from malachite green.

I have called the store, they are looking into this, and will get back to me.

So they've gotten back to me. They said aqua one say "it's probably just algae, and you need to do more water changes and reduce lighting to 10 hours"

So I change about 20% per fortnight and my lights are on for 10hours. Funny because the stuff is growing behind the filter in the silicone where there is no light....

She said if I send some pics in they can look into it further

ring them yourself and don't back down till you get the issue sorted. emails and letters are easy to ignore, an irate customer screaming down the phone at them, not so much. usually the problem gets sorted simply by being put through to talk to the right person. If they don't play ball tell them that you will take photos of the tank and do some free advertising for them.

When dealing with the retailer, remember they likely have people all the time who have animals become poorly or plants die or other faults that people will try and blame on them, as there are a lot of people out there that do not u derstand the pets they have.

They have a right to be sure it is in fact a manufacturer issue before offering any resolution, cooperate with them I their enquiries. I've never dealt with aqua one directly but I'm sure if the product is in fact at fault that they or the retailer would put it right.

Jumping up and down ( screaming down the phone for example) at the first hint of an issue and threatening to advertise a fault that they haven't even had a chance to examine is ridiculous and unfair, and the exact reason that retailers will push back in the first place.

Remember at this point all they know is 'black stuff growing on the silicone' so their initial response seems pretty reasonable to me.

That being said, if they can't offer any reasonable explanation even with photos or observation, then if need be, reminding them politely of their obligations under the consumer guarantees act will likely get the right outcome.

When dealing with the retailer, remember they likely have people all the time who have animals become poorly or plants die or other faults that people will try and blame on them, as there are a lot of people out there that do not u derstand the pets they have.

They have a right to be sure it is in fact a manufacturer issue before offering any resolution, cooperate with them I their enquiries. I've never dealt with aqua one directly but I'm sure if the product is in fact at fault that they or the retailer would put it right.

Jumping up and down ( screaming down the phone for example) at the first hint of an issue and threatening to advertise a fault that they haven't even had a chance to examine is ridiculous and unfair, and the exact reason that retailers will push back in the first place.

Remember at this point all they know is 'black stuff growing on the silicone' so their initial response seems pretty reasonable to me.

That being said, if they can't offer any reasonable explanation even with photos or observation, then if need be, reminding them politely of their obligations under the consumer guarantees act will likely get the right outcome.

Sounds like sage advice to me. +1

So it looks like I'm getting the tank replaced. After aqua one saw the pics, they were like "oh, I don't like the look of that"

So I'm going to take this as an opportunity to rescape my tank..

Wanting to use 1" of dalton's aquatic mix and then 2" sand on top, not sure if I want black or white though.

Also, as I have never used sand before, is there a certain type of sand to buy? Are there any sands with a low silicate level, to avoid brown spot algae?

So it looks like I'm getting the tank replaced. After aqua one saw the pics, they were like "oh, I don't like the look of that"

So I'm going to take this as an opportunity to rescape my tank..

Wanting to use 1" of dalton's aquatic mix and then 2" sand on top, not sure if I want black or white though.

Also, as I have never used sand before, is there a certain type of sand to buy? Are there any sands with a low silicate level, to avoid brown spot algae?

Great result