Breeding Green Neons

Joe

plastic, galvanized, stainless steel, aluminium

of those plastic or stainless.

galvanised and Al will still corrode metals into the water

Also, learn the proper English for things like aluminium and galvanised because when you go to uni a lecturer might just mark you down for using Americanised spelling

I've tried a bunch of commonly found plastic meshes - in my breeding tank thread - not all successful but could work for you. The best stuff looks like white bait net that you can get from someone like Discount Fishing Supplies online, I didn't get that far and haven't inspected in person. If you find any stainless steel mesh that is affordable please let me know, maybe we can get some together. I have the cutting stuff here if you don't

Now is the time to start building tanks (if you are not already) Build a small tank for breeding with a smaller tank inside without a base. Glue the metal mesh used for making whitebait traps on the bottom and brace it at the top. Put straps on the top (braces it also) or small spacers on the bottom to keep it up from the bottom of the main tank. If you are serious make a few sets and set them up with pairs or trios at the same time so that you are raising fry of the same age. Use low light and when you see eggs cover with newspaper until free swimming. A drop of acriflavine helps. The first lot of eggs are probably no good as they can get calcified. Feed on lumbriculus and breed once a week until the market is saturated. Build more tanks to grow them all out.There is a sex skew by temperature so if you end up with all females lower the temperature a bit.

Good luck and don't forget me when I get my munted tank replaced.

Thanks Alan :hail:

I appreciate your advice about building more tanks, however I have neither the room nor the funds to do that sort of thing. All the tanks are in my bedroom and I really don't have the room for a proper breeding setup like what you probably have :(

Thanks Alan :hail:

I appreciate your advice about building more tanks, however I have neither the room nor the funds to do that sort of thing. All the tanks are in my bedroom and I really don't have the room for a proper breeding setup like what you probably have :(

what? no room for more tanks??, remove the bed and learn to sleep standing up, great for your back

I always just used a large nylon scoop net with a few marbles in the bottom to weigh it down over a bare glass tank with a sponge filter, ugly but effective, move the net every day so eggs are evenly scattedered and fish waste does not pool over them. then lots of meth blue

Right ho - I am giving back my 120L tank because I am borrowing it. All of my plants are going to Jennifer. Pots will go outside. I am going to get two 45cm cube tanks with canister filters, heaters and clip-on lights to grow the Indian fern. The 140L tank will stay as is. The fish will be spawned in the two seperate tanks, so that way I can spawn them at different temperatures to get a good mix of males/females. I'm also looking at getting some more live food cultures. Mum and I are planning a trip to Christchurch in the near future so I can get some supplies.

Caryl I have replied to your email about the fly screens :D

Live food to get these guy's breeding would be microworms, whiteworms and brine shrimp nymph.

There is an article here ( Caryl can point you in the right direction ) on how to breed Cardinal tetra.

HOWEVER I think you will find the best temp for breeding Green's is 23 - 24C.

This would work and I have read they breed best in groups which means the Cardinal set up is probably best.

For neon Tetra a 20 - 25cmsq aquarium with a bottom mesh trap as Alan described is best with peat socked rain water and a large hand full of spawning moss/mop for them to breed in. The 21C water should be 50 -75mm above the trap, this is for pair breeding ( this is a tried and true practice )

If you were to use this method I'd up the temp 23 - 24C

I've used this method to breed many small tetra very successfully, I even caught some of them in the act.

Did you know Glowlights release there eggs in a barrel role??, the eggs fly every where.

Both cardinal and neon fry once free swimming can eat NEWLY hatch brine shrimp as a first food combined with microworms etc. So I think it is safe to assume they can too, if not they will be able to eat baby micro worms.

Do you have a spot light store near you?? in the cross stitch section you can buy sheets of plastic mesh that works " perfectly " for breeding egg scatters.

The fly screen maybe to fine but give it a go.

Good luck Joe

Thanks so much for that information, it is extremely helpful :hail:

We don't have a Spotlight store in Blenheim but we are going to Christchurch in the near future to get some stuff so I can have a look there. And there will probably be tonnes of other stores that will have some mesh of some sort there, so I should have quite a good range of different things to choose from :D

I will try and get a brine shrimp hatchery or two going. And the microworms should be easy too. I actually used to have some but the fish I had at the time weren't as small as the tetras and they never touched the microworms so I ended up chucking the cultures out :facepalm:

Are there any other types of live food that I should culture apart from the mircoworms, brine shrimp and blackworms, whether it for the fry or for the adults? I would like to try and give them a variety of different things if possible.

You can seperate the maller white worms from the colony by adding them to water---the large ones sink first and the small ones can be decanted off. The problem is that you lose your replacemnt big ones. Grindal worms are between micro and white worms. They need to be warm and moist unlike whiteworms. Daphnia when the weather is suitable.

Cool thanks Alan :D

I used to have white worms but I neglected the culture and I lost it but I'll get some more. I can remember that my fish used to absolutely love them! Grindal worms sound a bit too difficult for me to manage.

What about wingless fruit flies? Has anyone tried them?

Okay so maybe not worth the effort for the neons then?

I will try to get these cultures set up:

- Microworms

- Whiteworms

- Brine Shrimp

And I've already got the blackworms. Those, and the whiteworms, will just be used for the parents because of course they're too big for the fry. And I can also feed the parents some of the microworms and brine shrimp so they have more variety :D

Just been looking at some other foods... Are any of these good for the Green Neon fry?

Frozen Rotifers

NLS Small Fry Starter Formula 1mm

NLS Grow Formula 0.5mm

JBL NovoBaby

JBL Nobilfluid Artermia

Decap Brine Shrimp

And for the parents...

NLS Community Formula 1mm

NLS Small Fish Formula 0.5mm

NLS Thera A with extra Garlic 0.5mm

NLS Freshwater Flakes with Garlic

AHT Brine Shrimp Flakes

AHT Freeze Dried Daphina

Also I'm not looking to buy ALL of these, I just want to know whats good, whats not, and if it is suited for the Green Neons and the fry and worth purchasing :D

Thanks for your help so far everyone :hail:

I can say that with the choice of bloodworms, microworms, BBS, the odd pinch of bettamin :roey: :P and the recent addition of freeze dried daphnia... The only one ever left at the end is the freeze dried Daphnia. There seems to be too many 'bits' they don't like and after sifting through for half a minute they leave the rest :) just my experience. Microworms are easy enough to keep going, if you can keep the dog out of the fish room :facepalm: