Breeding Green Neons

Joe

Don't write off grindals so fast. They are the easiest off all worms to keep and you can culture massive numbers in an ice-cream container.

I always have live food cultures and feed heaps of it to all my fish, Currently I have 5 types of worms, daphnia, cyclops and paramecium. Grindals are the least hassle and the biggest return for effort and space.

I am about to get grindals going again. I used to keep them on peat with a little ground up egg shell added to stop them getting too acid---fed on luncheon. As stated very productive and stay alive in water a lot longer than whiteworms and a good intermediate size after brine shrimp nuplii. I used to keep them at 30 degrees C.

Yes 18% fat, of which most are healthy fatty acids like omega 3 etc.

Over feed all animals and they get fatty livers including people :cofn: I fell like a biscuit

Okay so maybe I will give them a go then :D

Also some other foods that I am thinking of doing... How hard are these to culture and what are all your experiences with them?

- Rotifers

- Cyclops

- Green water

- Infusoria

- Paramecium

Yes the white worms dietary issue was that previously we've been warned that they are too fatty for frequent feedings. I have kept them a few times but the cultures always died. I had grindals on scouring pads from Bilbo that I couldn't keep alive and later got some on old potting mix that also disappeared. All I have now are the ones that I find easy to keep - black worms, micro worms, daphnia and mosquito larvae.

Joe, if you want pond bugs you could set up something like my bugtopia pond. What likes to live in there will be what you end up with, I've tried transplanting various bugs from externally sourced places and in the end only the daphnia were the main colony. There are no doubt other microscopic bugs, snails, bloodworms etc, but you can't plan on keeping micro-bugs if the situation isn't right for them.

Also some other foods that I am thinking of doing... How hard are these to culture and what are all your experiences with them?

- Rotifers - easy to do provided that you get the right species (can be ordered over the net), and have the time/money/effort to do them right...

- Cyclops - take effort and time to do right.

- Green water - easy as pie. hard to do in quantities that would make it worth the time, will be present in:

- Infusoria - water + vegitation + time = infusoria probably the simplest of them all really...

- Paramecium - Why?

What for, you don't need them?

I just wanted to try and culture as many different types of live food as possible because I thought that it would be nice to have a variety of different things for my fish :D

Thanks for your answers :hail:

Most of those I haven't a clue of what they are :lol: I've just heard of them before and I know nothing about anything about them, so I just wanted to know what others thought of them :D

I am a complete noob when it comes to live food, so sorry if you guys think some of the stuff that I ask seems a bit silly :oops:

I keep them on scourer pads with a CD cover on top as a cover and to use to feed them out. Feed them cat biscuits. No dirt no mess.

Infusoria is easy and OK but almost pure paramecium cultures can be achieved within a few weeks using lettuce and dog biscuits in a coke bottle.

Green water is a pain and a waste of time, only really good for feeding daphnia.

Rotifers are time consuming and need space so I wouldn't even bother.

Cyclops as above.

But all of the microscopic food is a pointless if you don't have bbs to follow it up.

I keep them on scourer pads with a CD cover on top as a cover and to use to feed them out. Feed them cat biscuits. No dirt no mess.

Infusoria is easy and OK but almost pure paramecium cultures can be achieved within a few weeks using lettuce and dog biscuits in a coke bottle.

Green water is a pain and a waste of time, only really good for feeding daphnia.

Rotifers are time consuming and need space so I wouldn't even bother.

Cyclops as above.

But all of the microscopic food is a pointless if you don't have bbs to follow it up.

Agreed, best way to deliver the nutrients provided by any of these to fish of any decent size is by gutloading artemia. There is HEAPS of different variations and ways of going about any of these things. whether it is worth the time/effort/setup costs depends on how serious you want to get and the results you want to achieve...

Coming from Marine Biology, I could setup a Algae growing room with attached clean room and grow various sterile single-species cultures en mass, but would it be worth it? Not until I get a full size breeding operation of ~ 100+ tanks... and win lotto....

Its all relative... :thup: