Gambusia holbrooki

JaSa

Hi

As we all know, Gambusia affinis are classed as ‘unwanted organism’ in New Zealandunder under the Biosecurity Act 1993. Big red flag, not to be kept, breed, transported, sold, ... or released into the wild.

But today I saw a few nice spotted (both males & females) Gambusia holbrooki in a pet shop:

DSC_0184.JPGfwlivebearersw1220387419.jpg

I'm 100% sure it is Gambusia holbrooki (or a hybrid between affinis x holbrooki) since I have Leopard Fish as well which look almost the same but not quite - gonopodium, body shape and mouth are different.

So the big question is:

Is holbrooki illegal as well or good to go? Please let me know what you think...

Cheers,

JaSa

PS:

Pictures are examples from the net to show you what I saw today.

Are you sure they aren't leopard fish that you saw?

I'm 100% sure it is Gambusia holbrooki (or a hybrid between affinis x holbrooki) since I have Leopard Fish as well which look almost the same but not quite - gonopodium, body shape and mouth are different.

I'd be really skeptical that they're a type of gambusia, they're definitely not an allowed importand even being the gambusia genus would probably effectively make them banned

Looks like almost all the pictures of holbrooki I can see they don't have spots, just the odd one they do.

You guys are probably right. Gambusia on it's own might be enough to make them a big NoNo.

It's a shame - they really look nice with their sharp silverish bodies and black spots compared to the rounder, brownish phalloceros ...

JaSa

In the past I have seen very poorly coloured Leopards, I strongly suspect that's what they are.

If they are G. holbrooki of ant type or cross, they would most certainly be illegal as to my knowledge they have not been in the country before( or at least not for an extremely long time ) and so would be an illegal import.

• 2 years later...

Every species of Gambusia is there favorite food Mosquitos.

Therefore you find them in South of France, Italy, Spain and Portugal a lot in lakes and rivers.

Originally not in there habitat but they turned there because of the annoying insects.

They also do not damage to the flora and become favorite to the local people.

They breeding easily.