piranhas

rosco

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought their urethra seeking behaviour was an urban myth? Or are you taking the piss? :slfg:

"These smaller species are known for an alleged tendency to invade and parasitise the human urethra; however, despite ethnological reports dating back to the late 19th century, the first documented case of the removal of a candiru from a human urethra did not occur until 1997, and even that incident has remained a matter of controversy."

If you read the wiki on it, you'll find out the only documented case of this ever happening has holes all through the story.

I'll stick with being afraid of pirahnas, thanks !

Haven't you seen the movie Piranha 3d?! They kill everything. EVERYTHING!!!
:slfg:

Pretty much no real logical reason for them to be illegal here especially while you can import pacu which tolerate much cooler water.

There not that cool any way a friend of mine has one in the states and in my opinion its boring as.

"These smaller species are known for an alleged tendency to invade and parasitise the human urethra; however, despite ethnological reports dating back to the late 19th century, the first documented case of the removal of a candiru from a human urethra did not occur until 1997, and even that incident has remained a matter of controversy."

If you read the wiki on it, you'll find out the only documented case of this ever happening has holes all through the story.

I'll stick with being afraid of pirahnas, thanks !

We'll use yours as a test-subject then eh? :slfg:

*Crosses legs* You pay the airfare then, and I'll go for a swim :thup:

Airfare???? Who said anything 'bout airfare?

I think you'll be fine on a wooden raft held together with guts and glory... :slfg:

Its only about 14000 km's, give or take a couple thousand... :thup:

Could be there by Christmas... Christmas in Brazil!... come-on bro, take one for the team...

:rotf: :rotf: :digH:

Yep Kelly Tarlton has them.. says so on their web page

I guess they have special permission then?

yup they've got a zoo license which you need

i've read it is certainly the candiru the locals fear a lot more than the piranha

Did you guy's not see the program on them, candiru follow ammonia trails. This normally leads to fish gills but on the odd and MOST unfortunate occasion an urethra, so if you do go swimming in the Amazon DON'T PEE in the pool!!!!!

Or carry a dead fish as there are larger relatives of the candiru that will eat you from the inside out.

Ya just gota :love: the Amazon

• 1 year later...

no kidding david... lol. there were at least 30 of them in a large display tank went i went last year. and as karina says they were there in april! kelly tarltons has undergone a bit of renovation lately. there is a new seahorse area with pipefish, dragonfish and a few different types of horses. nice area.

kelly tarltons only has two freshwater exhibits now, a pond type enclosure with long and shortfin eels, and a

terrible little tank in the kids area with some rough looking boesemani, pleco, a random silver dollar and a lone electric yellow.

anyway. all im wondering is why they decided to get rid of the piranha, and if they kulled them, or what?

Please ask because I'd like to know too. I didn't realise until you mentioned it that they were gone when we went in June.

Maybe since they got bought by an international conglomerate they had to stock pleasant seeming fish only :dunno:

no kidding david... lol. there were at least 30 of them in a large display tank went i went last year.

When I went a few years ago they were down to 1-2 in that funny shaped tank they've been in for years. I was kinda wondering if they ere a one-off import that they couldn't be bothered replacing, but if there were 30 they must have got some more in.

yeah i asked one of the staff but she had no idea.

i was wondering if the law had changed or if their licence to keep them was pulled or something.

i might actually email them and ask, i did mention it on the feedback form i filled out there.

the tank they were in was definitely too small for the amount they had in there anyway.

Veering away from the Kelly Tarltons theme a bit, there's a guy down here who I buy a lot of fish off who said he had some years ago. He does a lot of work in fish wholesale and managed to get some imported on the sneaky. I think this was like 10+ years ago before the laws and such were as tough. He said they were scatty things that hid all the time. COULD all be a story though...

Now, Bucktooth Tetras... THAT'S something I'd love to own.

Bucktooth Tetra aren't your everyday characin. They feed primarily by eating the scales off other living fish. Must be kept in species-only tanks for obvious reasons and must be kept in large schools -- if they aren't kept in large enough groups they stress out and eat each others scales off!

Some juvenile piranha also feed this way, when they are not yet large enough to feed like an adult. It's called Lepidophagy.

Exodon paradoxus, the Bucktooth Tetra.

3067059860_3beb948b55.jpg