what glue to use?

Aaron-Betta

Hi all, I am trying to make an acrylic overflow box but i'm a bit hesitant about what sort of glue to construct it with that wont leech anything into the water or is it easier to try and fuse or plastic weld with a small soldering iron? Any help or ideas appreciated.

Aaron

Most brands, Holdfast, Selleys etc have "aquarium Silicone". Silicone for glass is an acid cure silicone and should stick acrylic as well. Not sure if there is any difference between "glass" and "Aquarium" Silicone apart from the labels on the tubes. My tanks are made with "glass" silicone.

Two different techniques with plastic welding and silicone joints. Siliconing would be easiest in my view. you need to leave a gap between your joins if using silicone as this is where the strength is.

Plastic solvents and welding rods are available but i reckon have more chance of failing unless you are pro.

Hi all, I am trying to make an acrylic overflow box but i'm a bit hesitant about what sort of glue to construct it with that wont leech anything into the water or is it easier to try and fuse or plastic weld with a small soldering iron? Any help or ideas appreciated.

Aaron

The usual cement used for PVC plumbing should be fine, I think that works with acrylic and it doesn't leach anything toxic once it's set.

Silicone cant be used for acrylic, it will let go after a few days/weeks. It has to be an acrylic cement (dont know if the PVC ones would work?)

There are plenty of suitable silicones for acrylics. Its just a matter of finding an "aquarium" product that will do it. Can always just do a test piece first.

Heres some thing that could be helpful too. http://www.duboisi.com/diy/BNdiytank/bndiytank.htm

It is called weldon because it is acrylic disolved with a solvent that will also disolve the surface of the acrylice you are glueing. The solvent will then evapourate and leave a "weld" of acrylic. Same idea as welding metal or more particularly PVC. Any silicone I ever tried was no good.