If I could I'd have a pet .....

Chameleon. They are so cool! I love the way they move and their eyes and how they can change color .... I think they are the most extraordinary thing ever!!!

Not to mention I LOVE the song Karma Chameleon LOL

I had a pair of veiled chameleons in South Africa. They were awesome to have. Both had completely different characters. They often had us in hysterics with there funny antics! I miss them

I had a pair of veiled chameleons in South Africa. They were awesome to have. Both had completely different characters. They often had us in hysterics with there funny antics! I miss them

yea would be sooooo goooood! saw some veileds about 10 or so years ago...in nz .they were quarintened(with good spelling lol) for prosicution(s.p.e.l.l.i.n.g.b.a.d) back then ...from ,what i saw of them over maby 4 weeks...they growth rate ,and hardyness was crazy if compared with jacksons.... but were destroyed to prove a point about smuggling!....dagnamit! sigh....so were clasified as illegialy imported organisims(not un wanted organisims).......so maby zoos or containment could still get them back if they were prepaired to spend the money for health standard e.c.t.......p.s jacksons are technichly(wheres the spell check in this?)impossible to cross breed! so i take my hat off to ivan from ti point reptile park!!!!! foir keepin them going after all these years. after all the other zoos have managed to kill them off! :hail::hail::hail: p.p.s also saw adult veiled in china some years later...WOW!

I would definately say that it would be an argentinian black and white tegu for me aye. Those things are so cool cos they look like a monitor and are completely docile (if trained right). Some say even as much as a dog.

Oh.....and they grow to about 4 feet. Damn right my place wouldn't be burgled lol!

• 4 weeks later...

just because its not here doesnt mean its a danger to NZ wildlife.

THere are many specimens we could have that wont pose a threat to our birdlife here.

The fact is that simply, MAF do not want to bother allowing species in as it is not in their priority.

Really, and i somewhat agree.... if you have the whole country to run, why bother with a few hobbyists?

reptiles are probably somewhat quite adaptable - and MAY survive, even thrive.

in the examples of fish.

There are fish specimens that will NEVER thrive here, temperature alone will kill them in an instant.

Some of those can be allowed it.

Also compliance.

Example is the asian arowana, requires 'extra' attention and maf fees.

WHY?

these fish will probably die with in 10 minutes of being introduced to our waterways which are so cold almost all year round.

Iguana - it is a vegetarian, and lives and thrives in tropical equatorial environments. This thing is unlikely to thrive here, i mean, their eggs wont even hatch in our temperatures.

just my thoughts

Yes they are. They are fussy eaters and are scared of many of our native fauna, however when they are kept well fed and given adequate mental stimulation they can be very interesting to watch :wink:

Wait what? If Iras where that fussy of an eater I'd be a hell of a lot skinnier.

• 1 month later...
I'd have one of these...

baby-dragon.jpg

Showed this photo to my 5yo, and he said "WOW where did you get that mum?" I said "it just landed on my fingers, so I took a photo. Thats what I do all day when you are at school, catch baby dragons and let them go"

He looked at me and said "PLEASE mum can you show me one tomorrow after school?!"

So cute when they believe that their mum can catch dragons :)