Im new! A little help please :)

trinox

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've got lots of new friends here. I'm sure someone here who lives in Pakuranga will offer you some filter material populated with bacteria. Just ask ... in the private trade section post a message asking for free live filter material. In the meantime I would suggest restarting ammolock as it will turn the ammonia into ammonium which is non toxic.

Is there anyone nearby who can gift you some old filter material??

If someone could give me / sell me some of this , i would apreciate it. If anyone can tell me a good cycle of how to water change and what chemicals to put in would be awsum also.

You need the ammonia to be produced and converted to nitrite and then to nitrate by the bacteria. Getting established filter media will provide the bacteria but they will all die off if you take the food source off them by using ammolock.. Chuck the ammolock and get some established filter media.

That is contrary to the product information for the liquid Ammolock

Works instantly, in both fresh and saltwater, to detoxify ammonia and remove chlorine and chloramines. Locks up ammonia in a non-toxic form until it can be broken down by the tank's natural biological filter. Eliminates fish stress and promotes healthy gill function.

Alan might be referring to chips that sequesters ammonia, and in that instance your ammonia is not available for nitrification.

If someone could give me / sell me some of this , i would apreciate it. If anyone can tell me a good cycle of how to water change and what chemicals to put in would be awsum also.

I live in howick/botany/pakuranga and I'd be happy to trade some of your filter media for mine. I have plenty of fully cycled filters going on my tanks. I would also be happy to answer any questions.

You need the ammonia to be produced and converted to nitrite and then to nitrate by the bacteria. Getting established filter media will provide the bacteria but they will all die off if you take the food source off them by using ammolock.. Chuck the ammolock and get some established filter media.
Ammonium is still consumed by your bacteria, allowing the cycle to keep going. Ammolock works a treat.

I dont use any of the above but it looks like ammolock and prime do the same thing

http://www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz/detail/view/seachem-prime-100-ml/m/927/

http://www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz/detail/view/api-ammolock-118ml/m/1179/

stability? is that a bacteria solution? If you have used it then they should be inthere...

I have never used excessive products in my tank other than one time (PO4 issue)

de-chlorinator is the only thing that I use on a constant basis... or sodium thiosulphate if I can get hold of it... (good for removing excess Bleach after sterilising, too)

Nothing, and I mean nothing, is better for your tank than water changes. Directly removes NH3 / NH4+ / NO2 / NO3 / PO4 medication, everything. It like opening a window in your room for fresh air.

Eventually your bacteria will catch up and equalise with your bio-load, but, even when they are working properly, the NO3 they produce is accessible to algae, macro and micro.

Solution - keep up weekly water-changes, or get some (more than just a couple) plants + lights and do slightly fewer water changes. (NOTE: talking about an established tank here, yours will get there eventually, if you start to get algae, you're there :thup:)

Thing to remember is that you are trying to mimic nature in a mini-eco system to the best of our abilities, the closer you can get to this, the better your water is going to be, and the happier your captives...

HTH

So the bacteria that you are trying to culture to turn nitrite to nitrate---what do they get to practice on?

Does this 2002 response also answer your question? There may well be newer explanations though that supercede this.

The removal of ammonia by Prime is based on the formation of an imine

(or Schiff base) via complexation of the amine with an aldehyde

equivalent (the aldehdyde itself is not free but is complexed in a

hemi acetal of sorts with any of a number of different sulfur based

oxides). So that's the ammonia removal.

Now for the nitrate/nitrite removal. The detoxification of nitrite by

Prime (when used at elevated levels) is not well understood from a

mechanistic standpoint. The most likely explanation is that the

nitrite is removed in a manner similar to the way ammonia is removed;

i.e. it is bound and held in a inert state until such time that

bacteria in the biological filter are able to take a hold of it,

break it apart and use the nitrite. Two other possible scenarios are

reduction to nitrogen (N2) gas or conversion into a benign organic

nitrogen compound.

I wish we had some more "concrete" explanation, but the end result is

the same, it does actually detoxify nitrite. This was unexpected

chemically and thus initially we were not even aware of this, however

we received numerous reports from customers stating that when they

overdosed with Prime they were able to reduce or eliminate the high

death rates they expererienced when their nitrite levels were high.

We have received enough reports to date to ensure that this is no

fluke and is in fact a verifiable function of the product.

Gregory Morin, Ph.D. ~~~~~~~President/CEO~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seachem Laboratories, Inc. http://www.seachem.com 888-SEACHEM

so they don't even know how or why it works basically is what that says to me.... :facepalm:

and therein lies my problem with all these fan-dangled chemicals and their "scientists"...

excuse me if I'm not filled with confidence... :slfg:

Waterchanges... 100% guaranteed to do what it should...

AND! means you'll have a few more pennies to clink together when it comes to purchasing inhabitants...

i have to say that I have never used amolock, or any buffering solution.

I would go cold turkey and stop using any additives and keep with the water changes and in the second week cut down the water changes.

Using all the additives only makes you broke.