Canister filter height vs flow

Ira

I've been meaning to do this for a while since everyone seems to argue that canister filters will flow more if you have them higher.

These are tested with an empty old CF1200, measurements were made by running the filter into a bucket with the outlet hose at approximately tank water height.

On floor: 2.5L in 15 seconds, 600LPH 1300mm from bottom of canister to tank water surface

bottom.JPG

Middle: 2.5l in 15 seconds, 600LPH 600mm from bottom of canister to tank water surface

middle.JPG

Top: 2.4L in 15ish seconds, 576 LPH +80mm(Above) from bottom of canister to tank water surface

top.JPG

Raising the filter 700mm made no difference at all in the flow.

Putting the filter above started the filter sucking a little bit of air in and when I started the test it took a second to clear the air out and start flowing well. That's probably what lead to the lower flow at that height. A newer, more well sealed filter likely wouldn't have this issue. Also it would be a pain in the ass to prime the filter, so I wouldn't suggest having it above the tank.

Just out of curiosity, does a canister filter push or pull the water? Different models do it different ways? And would this make a difference?

Good effort on the experiment!

Depends how you want to look at it. Could argue that no pump can pull water. They push water creating a void which ambient pressure pushes more water in to fill.

Ira is 100% correct. The only thing that matters is the pressure difference between the inlet and outlet. Since both are more or less at the lame level the energy required to move the water is exactly the same irrespective of how far the filter is below the water level. You could even take the filter above the water level once it's running at it would still work and use exactly the same energy.

Go research the laws of physics and it will all become clear...

The only thing that changes by moving the filter height is the pressure inside the filter. lets just put this one to bed :roll:

"The only thing that changes by moving the filter height is the pressure inside the filter"

Correct me if I'm wrong here,but as water is a non-compressible liquid, the canister stays the same volume and the flow stays the same surly the (-ve [in most filters]) pressure in the filter stays the same?

Pressure is proportional the the height of water. In this case it's the height of the water in the tank to the height of the filter. Get enough height between the tank water level and the filter and it will burst.

If the filter is below the tank it will have pressure in it.

If it's above the tank it will have negative pressure as long as both pipes are under water. If one is above the water and it's turned off, all the water in the filter and pipes will siphon back into the tank.

If you don't believe me just get a hose and create a siphon out of your tank. If you lower the end of the hose the pressure on you finger get higher - just try it (it's only physics)...