Our Tank

Carlos & Siran

We've been adding flourish since we set the tank up, and it actually grew while we were doing so. The bba we've encountered in the past has been course and wirey and is easily removed from plants and wood. This is velvety and strong, we have to scrape at it with a knife to remove, if you try and pull it off it's roots remain, it is only on the wood and not on the plants. Personally we're not too worried about it, it adds character to the tank and adds that natural look we've worked hard to achieve, we just wanted to know if it was harmful to the fish.

Cheers Chris b and Shell, this is our 6th try and we're finally getting the look we've wanted.

Thanks for the welcome back Snookie, but we won't be hanging round much as this place makes us feel about as welcome as a fart in a space suit....

We've been adding flourish since we set the tank up, and it actually grew while we were doing so.

You need megadoses of it to effect bba.

The bba we've encountered in the past has been course and wirey and is easily removed from plants and wood.

Doesn't sound like bba.

This is velvety and strong, we have to scrape at it with a knife to remove, if you try and pull it off it's roots remain, it is only on the wood and not on the plants.

That does sound like bba.

Personally we're not too worried about it, it adds character to the tank and adds that natural look we've worked hard to achieve,

Might as well leave it then, unless it goes nuts.

we just wanted to know if it was harmful to the fish.

Nope.

I find that BBA always hits the wood first in my tank, but by the looks of things you seem to have it under control and the tank looks amazing. I think it adds character :lol: . What type of fish are you planning on putting in the tank?

We're going to put in:

Congo Tetras

Marble Hatchets

Another Peacock Eel ( Cause my Monty died)

BGK

Cory's

and Choc Zebra Pleco

and we already have a Kuhli and two bristlenose in there with a couple of other fish but they will go somewhere else when we put the others in if they haven't died by then. The four other little fish are quite old so its just a matter of time.

Carlos likes the look of the tank too, so do I. We think the BBA gives it character too. Its nowhere else but the wood and only on the top.

• 3 weeks later...
Looks really nice. Unfortunately I think you will find that the bba begins to spread. I find the best way to get rid of it is by squirting it directly with excel from a syringe. In a couple to three days it turns rusty red and dies.

Thanks for that Adrienne :) . Am doing a water change now and have squirted excel directly onto bba. Will finish doing what I need to and will fill tank and wait and see what happens in next few days. Hopefully it will go red and die :thup: .