Joe's 140L Amazon Blackwater Biotope Journal

Joe

Finally I have my new tank. It's 650x500x490mm with 10mm glass thickness, and is mainly made out of normal float glass, except for the front panel which is starphire/low ion glass. The edges have been beveled and polished, and the base is internal like ADA tanks. It's sitting on my couch at the moment, but I have a table for it to go on (although the table is a hideous bright blue but if I wait until I can afford a nice stand then this tank will probably not be set up for a very long time!)

65x50x49cm004.jpg

65x50x49cm012.jpg

Starphire compared to float glass.

For the substrate I'll just use sand from Mitre 10 Mega, and JBL balls for any plants that I put in. I will try to get a Hydro ETH 200w Inline Heater for this tank as I really don't fancy using the 300w Jager sitting in the closet because that's for emergencies only. Luckily I haven't had to use it so far. Lighting will be an Aqua Medic Ocean Light 150w HQI Metal Halide, and for filtration I'll use my Eheim Classic 2213 from my current tank, and then I'll just put a pump in the other tank to circulate the water as I don't want to use my unused Eheim 2211 canister filter because that is for the high tech nano tank that I'll hopefully be able to afford if I manage to breed a relatively large amount of Apistos and sell them. Yes, the tank is going to be stocked with Apistos. I still have my trio of Apistogramma macmasteri which I'll try and breed until I can find a male Apistogramma trifasciata to go with my female. Then I'll have a go with those instead as they're my favourite Apistogramma and I would really love to breed them. And of course I need to get some twiggy branches and peat and/or alder cones otherwise it won't be blackwater :D

So hopefully I'll be able to get this tank set up soon, and there's no excuses now as I have the tank and most of the stuff :P

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Christchurch, and you're in Auckland so there's not much point in purchasing from Petworld.

Try Greg Kingston, he does really nice tanks apparently, and for really good prices too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Tanks2u

Greg Kingston

Auckland

Quality custom built aquariums, sumps and trickle filters.

Can be shipped from Manukau Auckland to anywhere in the country.

Phone: 09 273 4121

Mobile: 021 900 727

Email: [email protected]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

:thup:

• 2 weeks later...

Got Sophia's oak leaves, now I'm just waiting for Liam's :)

I went and got some sandpit sand from Mitre 10 Mega yesterday. It is a lovely earthy ochre colour. Also got a timer for the light, and a six-outlet powerstrip with individual switches.

The tank has also been moved on to its stand, but I still can't set it up yet because I need the light bulb, decor, polystyrene or something for it to sit on, the heater, light stand and some test kits.

You can have it as thick as you like and off-cuts are cheaper. I use a hot wire to cut mine.

Joe I would expect Mega to have poly or go down to the penguin factory, Expol, in Taylor Pass Rd as they might be cheaper since they manufacture it. It is where I used to get mine (before it changed hands) and they would cut it to the size I wanted too.

• 4 weeks later...
You can have it as thick as you like and off-cuts are cheaper. I use a hot wire to cut mine.

Joe I would expect Mega to have poly or go down to the penguin factory, Expol, in Taylor Pass Rd as they might be cheaper since they manufacture it. It is where I used to get mine (before it changed hands) and they would cut it to the size I wanted too.

Go visit your local appliance retail store ( Noels or Harveys etc) they pay to have it removed, I am sure they can give you plenty. At work we get sheets of it from the Refrigerator packaging. HTH