Joe's 140L Amazon Blackwater Biotope Journal

Joe

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. He looks really happy and just cruises around. The female chases him away if he gets too close to her and the fry. But there is plenty of room in the tank for all of the fish which is good because I have nowhere to put him if I had to remove him.

Where did you find that? I thought they were from blackwater pools in Brazil.

I was reading something on Apistogramma.com by some Apistogramma collector guy. He said that they are from densely planted clearwater streams or something like that.

Awesome tank, fish + thread.

At the risk of sounding slightly thick... The leaves in the tank - will they not go...off?

Or are they a special kind of leaf? Sorry, its just not something I'd thought of doing before. Its a neat idea, though.

I don't think they're eating the food. It is very finely crushed although most of the bits won't fit in their mouthes. There is a sufficient amount of super fine stuff amoung the stuff that's been crushed and I have watched them pick at it (so some of it will fit in their mouthes) but they just don't seem that interested in it, a bit like the parents which just don't like dry food.

Maybe I should get some of that JBL Nova Fry stuff which I used when I bred Laetacara curviceps ages ago? It worked well with them (but then again they are a bigger fish so the fry were a bit bigger than the tri's).

Joe. Try boiled egg yolk. Mix a tiny portion of yolk to a very fine paste... add water and then use a syringe and squirt it in the direction of the fry... failing that, buy some "Liquifry" from your petshop. If using egg yolk remember to use only a tiny amount as it will foul your water.

all my minifish have loved golden pearls, you can get really small ones from Dorl on TM, he's also caserole on here. It's really cheap and lasts ages because it's so small. You can put it in some water and then fire it down to them with a dropper. If you send me your address again I will post you some of mine to try out.

Baby apistos eat live baby brine shrimp. If you are caught short you can try micro worms but BBS is the best.

Apistos are hunters not grazers so they need food that moves.

If you really have too you could try decap or GP but they will never do as well and I found most times it just goes rotten on the bottom.

All my apisto fry get paramecium for the first 2 or 3 days and then start introduce BBS and copepods if you can get them.

I would love to have a brine shrimp hatchery but I really don't have any room because everything is a mess - my tanks aren't on proper stands and everything isn't tidy and there really isn't any room for live food cultures which really sucks :(

Although luckily they are eating the flake now which is good. Also I am going to try those pearly things that Sophia mentioned (thanks Sophia :hail: )

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...