Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

You can acclimatize Golden Barbs, Guppies, Bronze and peppered corys. all to live in cold water.

I have had all of these in cold water and they were fine.

Posted
Cold water up North will surely be different to cold water down in the South. I have been meaning to try acclimatize some barbs but I have a feeling they wouldn't survive in my cold water.

Yeah, I've had pearl gouramis, tetras, cories, bristlenoses, plecos, SA cichlids etc all living at 16° or cooler for a few weeks with no harm. They can all handle relatively cool for a while if cooled off slowly. But I wouldn't call it a good idea especially for a long time and outside over winter is likely to get much colder than that.

Posted

I thought the only coldwater fish were goldfish and minnows and wild guppies....

This is the opposite to what you're talking about, but I had my goldfish (fantail) in my tank set on 25C for weeks and weeks and he/she seemed perfectly happy... just moved it out into the pond the other day and now it hardly swims around... spends most of the time inside the barrel ornament. I feel bad now.. am feeling like moving it back into the tank. :cry: But my tank is only a 64L. My minnows that I moved into my smaller tank are also not swimming around that much... poor fishies :(

Posted
We've had this conversation before Ira. They are wild guppies I'm talking about that Animates sell as Coldwater guppies as they are aclimatized to live in cold water.

They are still standard guppies and wont cope below 18-20C..

Posted

Although Guppies will survive in cooler temps I have noticed they are very slow growing and as pointed out in reality they are tropical. Weather loaches 22Degrees? Hillstream loach 23? Bluefin Killyfish 20? Barredtail pearlfish21? Blackfin pearl Killyfish 20?

  • 2 months later...
Posted

i've kept golden and brown algae eaters in cold water and had them grow from 3-4cm to 12cm in under a year.

you should really look into nz native fish. they need very cold water. in auckland it's extremely difficult to keep the water cold enough for them during summer....

but there is a big selection and all nz natives are beautiful and fascinating fish! not only that but they are free to take from the wild (most of them)

as always, do some research if you do decide on nz natives. search stella's posts.

  • 11 years later...
Posted
On 10/20/2011 at 2:23 PM, Ira said:

Guppies are NOT coldwater. They are tropical.

Can survive in non heated tanks also, had one thrive and survive in my tank which is yet to be drained, heater is off, kept escaping net, still been feeding it though, has been 3 weeks now. 

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

The trouble is your definition of cold. Sure they can survive in cooler water but prefer it warmer. A "coldwater" tank in a modern, insulated house will be a lot warmer than a "coldwater" tank in an uninsulated house, or outdoors.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...