Losing weight support thread

mcrudd

Yes soup is good though I've only ever made my own soup once and can't remember as it was sooo long ago. I usually get the Watties Big N Hearty soups. We usually have soup for dinner once a week. I will have to call my nana again and get her vegetable soup recipe ... I loved her vege soup as a kid and could have 3 bowls lol I love vege soup and pumpkin soup.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WEIGHT WATCHERS ZERO POINTS GARDEN VEGETABLE SOUP RECIPE

Hands-on time: 20 minutes

Time to table: 1 1/4 hour

Makes 9 cups

6 cups broth (today I used Light Vegetable Stock)

Cooking spray

2 carrots, peeled and diced

1 large onion, diced

4 teaspoons garlic (from a jar or substitute four cloves minced garlic)

1/2 cabbage, chopped (or use a bag of slaw, the biggest chunks you can find vs the fine, don't skip the cabbage for it somehow makes the soup)

1/2 pound (225g) frozen green beans

2 tablespoons tomato paste

1 teaspoon dried basil

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1 large zucchini, diced

Bring the broth to a boil in the microwave. (This is a time-saving tip that can be skipped if there's no hurry.)

Spray a Dutch oven (pot, deep frypan or similar) with cooking spray and heat on MEDIUM HIGH. Add the carrots, onion and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes. Add all the remaining ingredients EXCEPT the zucchini and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to MEDIUM and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the beans are tender. Add the zucchini and cook until the zucchini are tender. Serve and enjoy!

KITCHEN NOTES

Zero point soups are easy to make without a recipe. Just cook a pile of non-starchy vegetables in 6 cups of a non-fat broth. It's even easy to convert one-point soups to zero-point soups.

PUMPKIN SOUP

1 Tbs oil

1 chopped onion

750g pumpkin, peeled and chopped

1 large potato, peeled and chopped

4 C chicken stock (you can make it or buy cubes or powdered stock)

salt

black pepper

nutmeg

Heat oil in pan.

Add onion and cook until clear (only takes a few minutes).

Add pumpkin, potato and stock.

Cover, bring to the boil and cook until veggies are soft.

You then pour it all into a food processor and whizz until smooth and creamy. If you don't have a processor or blender, you can mash and put through a sieve (a slow process) or try mashing then whipping with an egg beater. The idea is to get all the lumps out. If you don't mind lumpy soup then it is no big deal :wink:

Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.

For extra flavour you can add a ham hock or bacon bones (both sold cheap in the butchery section) to the pumpkin.

A lot of people advise variety but I am one who likes eating the same thing and doing the same walks etc.

If your diet kept you hungry all day then there was something wrong with it.

me too, I like food routine during the working week and for my exercise. I need to know that the food I take to eat at work will keep me going enough so I don't get too hungry to do my exercise when I get home. I like to keep the exercise along the same lines so I can compare myself. My husband is the opposite, gets bored easily so always mixes it up.

There was a lady on the Trinny and Susannah show last night who was a prime example of why I say you have to lose weight and exercise as a treat to look after yourself, her self esteem was so low because she was ashamed of herself even though she had lost plenty of weight already. She should have been proud of her achievement and been happy to look in the mirror. :(

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Tell us more mcrudd. Is this an organised thing or something you have made up yourself?

My weight is up a little thanks to my injury and the drugs I am on. I am sure, once I am back to full speed and off the meds, the weight will drop again.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml its an organised program to let the average unfit Joe reach a nice and comfortable fitness level in jogging 5 kilometers. Once you completed this program (c25k is free) then you can purchase the couch to 10 k and half marathons. I also downloaded the application to my phone, that helps a lot it tells you when to walk and run so you don't have to time yourself. :thup:

Application link https://market.android.com/details?id=com.runhelper.c25k&feature=search_result

Yes that is what happened to me first time I tried by myself, I nearly died jogging only half way around the Te Puru sports fields :slfg: This way is much better, and the application is magic too, its a great helping tool, you can find it here https://market.android.com/details?id=com.runhelper.c25k&feature=search_result (just thought I would repost since we are on a new page)

• 2 weeks later...
I got down to 94 then decided to do the rest with lots of walking and cycling on my exercise bike, Hubby said we would go on day hikes a lot. I need food, gosh my diet had me hungry all day long, atleast I went form a size 18 down to a 14 so I am comfy now with a size clothes that is readily available. The rest will have to come off nice and easy over time :slfg:

Wow you must be really tall! I'm 88.8kgs and a size 18. I'm 164cm tall.

I am temporarily off my diet until the cold weather is finished. I find I just want to eat all the time in Winter. As soon as the weather warms up I'll be back on my diet again. I haven't even weighed myself for probably the last 3 months because I'm scared to see if I've gained weight or not :( :lol: I'm thinking about getting myself some rollerblades to use in Summer. I'm not doing as much walking as I was previously, walking my daughter to and from school each day. So I need to find another way to exercise. I don't like running. And I can't afford to go to the gym.

It goes on my stomach and that's where I notice it most. It's not that I believe I look overweight but most of my summer clothes fit me more comfortably when I'm about a kilo lighter. I can't seem to find a balance between exercising and food, either I'm hungry all the time and losing weight, or not hungry and it starts to creep on. :dunno: