Losing weight support thread

mcrudd

Sorry to hear this! Although not now (after losing 30kg) I had struggled with weight loss on an off since prepubes! As someone said earlier, as soon as weight loss was off my mind and nutrition and health became the focus the weight fell off... And just kept falling :) If you set your goal to eat all of the nutrients you need (specific vitamins or proteins through vegies or minerals from yoghurt etc..) You'll find once you have spread that through the day you'll have little room left for cr.p and many, many less cravings, I promise. My weight's off for good. I was also on medication (not anymore though, don't need it!) Sending positive vibes and hope you get what you want :D Never say no to butter.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Caryl short stints are better and the physiotherapist as well as my family doc said it does "all" add up. At one point the physiotherapist suggested several times a day for 2 minutes, but I'm not about to do that. I am up to 10 min. 3 times a day at present. They have told me that exercise in the water would be best for me but that's just not an option at the moment. I do hope we have a nice summer though so I can at least get to the beach.

Sending positive vibes and hope you get what you want

Thanks for those vibes Hali, I'm sure all of us who are/have gone this way appreciate all the good vives we can get. It is definetely a struggle for sure.

Tip: I have to eat my breakfast one hour after I take medication (wasn't a problem before because I didn't eat breakfast). But every night, I make my breakfast (to take to work) and my lunch. I find if I have it all ready the night before, then I don't get up with the notion of "I can't be bothered" and go without.

WE CAN DO IT! :happy2:

Caper :P

HELP!!!!

Today (Friday) was the last day of the school year (I'm a casual employee of our local school board presently working in payroll). This past Monday we had an end of the year party..."Munchie Monday". We brought in lots of stuff and spread it out on our desks. I thought I could behave after Monday, but ate leftovers at lunchtime Tuesday :facepalm: and have been off and on with the eating right (still excercising). This is a long weekend and I need some tips, advice to get me back on track :dunno: :dunno:

Caper :(

Don't worry, it's impossible to behave yourself all the time. Just allow yourself the treats you've already eaten, forgive yourself for having broken your resolve for a short time, and then wind back up to your routine again. If you find yourself reaching for something you shouldn't, or putting off a bit of exercise, remind yourself you have a goal and put in that extra bit of effort to not eat naughty. Adding guilt and punishment will only reinforce any negative eating or emotional behaviours.

Also what you have to do depends on what sort of person you are. My workmate has a multitude of sweets in and around her desk, she can eat one a day and not want anymore. If I see them I want to eat them so I either have to go cold turkey and say no everytime she offers, admit I'm going to eat a few and let myself, or get rid of them (by eating them) so the temptation is gone. Problem with the last 2 options is that even if everything is gone she always brings more out and I end up eating more sugar than I think is good. So I find cold turkey works best for me with occasional treats or splurges when I am out of the routine of eating 'them'. You may be lucky to be a successful grazer and can just go back to whatever was your normal amount of treats.

And by the way, you still did your exercise, so you didn't fall off the wagon completely, you just had a 'pureness break' :happy2:

OH SOPHIA...thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you for all you said. I've read it a couple of times. Makes me feel better. I really like this support thread. :thup: :thup:

I usually get weighed on Monday's but yesterday was a holiday (I don't have a scale use the one at work). Even with all I ate, down .8 for a total of 15.8 thus far :happy2: :happy2: I thought for sure I would have gained to although only down .8 better than up :happy1:

Thanks again Sophia :P

Caper

Have a look at Dean Ornish's book "The Spectrum". He says dieting is not a morality issue, and not about deprivation. He's done pioneering peer reviewed work on life style modifications reversing coronary heart disease, lengthening telomeres ( thereby possibly increasing longevity ) and other things we thought impossible. President Clinton went onto his program and managed to get his weight back to when he was age 13. As he says "Sacrifice is not sustainable. Love is."

Weigh in day...down 3.6 lbs...total lost so far 19.4 :P:P:P:P

Hard work...but so worth it when you see the results! :P

Using treadmill and doing exercises the physiotherapist gave me. She didn't give me many exercises because of my back but at least I do what she gave me.

Thanks all for the help/support :thup: :thup: :thup:

How's everyone else doing????????

Well done Caper :thup: Keep up the good work. I have a treadmill desk hubby made me, I am on my treadmill now walking on speed 2 as I surf the internet, perhaps consider something as mild as that as well :wink:

I have lost 6kg and a fare amount of cm. I do a bit more than is required a day, just because I am aiming super high. I am pleased to say that I am back in my size 12 denims again :wink: but still flabby, though the hard muscles are underneath the flab, I can feel them when I exercise. I am still very positive and can't wait to reach my goal, I am also 2kg away from not being labled as obese on the wii fit board, so then I will just be overweight, sounds so much better than obese :D

ps My friends on facebook keep this hush hush over there, I don't want my mom realising what I am doing :wink:

Thanks mcrudd :bow:

WAY TO GO on your progess...AWESOME :happy2: :happy2:

You must be SUPER happy :thup:

I have alot more weight to go before I'm considered overweight as opposed to obese. I only do 2 mph on the treadmill since the physiotherapist said to walk a normal pace and I think this is it for me. If I go too fast, she said I would be "pounding" (I think that was the word she used) and that would not be good for me. When I first saw her, she had me walk and told me I walked too fast :gigl: .

• 1 month later...

Hey all, sorry I have not been around much, how is everyone doing?

Only 40 more sleeps then I see my Mommy :love:

She will not recognise me, I am doing very well, my size 12 denims fit me perfectly no red ring around my middle when I take them off :thup:

I am nearing a goal which will allow me more fish, I am hoping to buy two discus, not sure how many more I could fit in my tank, but I would love discus since my water is nice and stable now :wink:

All the best to all of you fighting the bulge, its not an easy thing to do we need lots of encouragement :kiss:

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys how are you all doing, just a week and my mom is here and I did it, I have toned down and is now a very nice fitting size 12 pants or if I really wanted too I could squeeze into a 10 :happy2: The wii no longer tells me I am obese, it just says I am overweight, but my doctor saw me and said I am as fit as a fiddle and she is happy with my weight as it is, no chance of heart disease, diabetes or anything like that, she is also pleased with my fitness level. I can now jog 5km a day no problem :wink:

congratulations

How on earth can wii fit class a size 12 as obese

My bmi was over 30 so it said I was obese, now my bmi is 29.89 and it says I am overweight, but my doctor measured my wrist and you can feel the bone its not covered in fat and she said that I have big bone structure and is one of those woman who will have curves, I will never be able to be a barbie doll figure. So I accepted it that I will be a size 12 overweight woman LOL

Sophia I am beyond excitement. The 24th can't come soon enough. I am not putting a drop of make up on because I think I will just end up looking like a zombie from all the running mascara. Its going to be so emotional, 8 years is a long time. I am also glad that I achieved something I wanted too before she came, might have taken me three years but I did it in the end :happy1:

Its not the wii's fault its been programmed for the BMI scale which is ancient and very inaccurate. Im 6foot+, 98kg's and have a body fat percentage of about 14 atm cause i've been lazy re gym and injury, anatomically i'm still in pretty good shape. That's considered fairly athletic as far as NZ stats go and the BMI scale still says i am "morbidly obese". So other than using as a tool to track progression its pretty useless.

When someone makes a reference to you about your weight, and they say something like "your just big boned" then it means you must be a giant... or it means the person who your talking to hasn't studied human physiology/anatomy well enough or they've spoken without thinking. One of the skeletal function is structure, unless your suffering from a growing disease your probably not "big boned". Bone density however is a very real thing and humans do differ greatly in bone density. This discrepancy is mostly due to nutrition or lack of, getting an accurate read in a water chamber of your bone density and muscle mass is the only way to actually know truly what your body fat percentage is.

my doctor is a tiny little person and how she explained it to me is that if you look at both our wrists it has the same amount of skin but mine is much much bigger if you measure around it in cm. She said that shows that my bones will be heavier in mass and bigger than for eg hers. She explained that all to me, because I wanted to lose more weight until I was down all the way to 75 (which according to the wii will be borderline healthy and overweight) but she said I was aiming to low, for my bonestructure and length (I am 1.74cm) I only need to go down to about 85kg which is only 3.6kg away, but I insisted on losing more. I was actually in hospital from over exurting (sp) myself, I was dieting and exercising more than 5 hours a day. She just wanted me to stop and think. Her explanation had me thinking especially since I measured it against my hubby's and mine was bigger than his. I have always had curves, guess I must just accept them now. I will never have a barbie doll figure especially with my 35th birthday looming

this little video from Amy Pohler just about sums up body image and making friends with the bits you think you don't like

http://youtu.be/iOWqSPJZtmA

also if you learn to dress in a way that accentuates your good bits you can feel gorgeous and happy with yourself at any size.

*disclaimer: I have never met you so have no idea how you dress in real life, but it can be helpful to look into this notion if you look in the mirror and don't like what you see....