Losing weight support thread

mcrudd

Hey @mcrudd, I'm new here and I just happened to stumble across this thread. I am where you used to be. I am at the start of the long road of needing to lose weight for breast reduction surgery. I'm sorry to hear you had complications. Sending good thoughts your way.

You are gonna be so happy afterwards, my only advice is to not go too small, let them decide what is best for you. I went from G to C and they suggested D or DD so that is why things got complicated

HelenMac you can do it. if you want to you can pm me your email addy and I can forward you my diet. Its one that does not require exercise. I will look out for the air walker thingy :wink:

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im overweight partly because of long term medication(cant change it when its the only one that works) but also my love of pies. my fiancee has been doing weight watchers last 10 months ( on and off due to quakes) she was not very overweight but wanted to lose weight for our wedding next year . she dosent diet in the weekend and gets minimal exercise but has managed to lose 10 kilo in the last 4 months. im quite enjoying the weightwatchers meals as they can be be quite nice the good thing about weight watchers is that it teaches you healthy lifestyle choices without sacrificing the taste or feeling like you have an empty stomach

+1 for swimming.

For those of you that can go to a horse riding club; do that. There is nothing out there that can work out so many muscles at the same time.

i play uwh, which involves alot of swimming and breath holding, i found i have a lot more endurance than my freinds who play soccer and rugby, and working out doesnt always have to be a chore remeber it can be fun,

i mean i am 170cm and only 56kg, and i dont work out, (besides uwh trainning :facepalm: )

Endurance? Just run or cycle.

Upper body strength? I wouldn't do too much. You're 14 right?

Hmm I'm 15. I mean I have a pool that hardly gets used or I live a minute away from the beach so is swimming good for endurance? Also it would build a little upper body strength at the same time, right?

Hmm I'm 15. I mean I have a pool that hardly gets used or I live a minute away from the beach so is swimming good for endurance? Also it would build a little upper body strength at the same time, right?

swimming is awsome for endurance and yes it builds upper body strenght, if you want to make it even harder only use your arms when swimming

The gym and working out, if you change your mind set can become a fun addiction, this is what i had to do so that i wasn't a fatty fatty boom boom anymore. This doesn't mean that this is what you have to do.

I am a lot healthier and happier now but still have a ways to go.

The gym is my addiction right now. I've had gym memberships where i've been like half a dozen times. I just got excited about it one day and now I look forward to going. I've gone from being the laziest person to super active all of a sudden. I still have bad habits, but over all I feel amazing!

Find a good trainer and get them to make you a plan. Mix it up every 6-8 weeks. Make sure to book appointments to track your progress, if you have to attend then there's no excuse for not having a good workout when you're there. Get your trainer to write you up a plan every month if you can, so you know which days you have to go. Work it around work/kids/commitments and then you can't say you're too busy!

Go first thing in the morning if you can, that way it's over and done with and you don't have to think about it too much. Find something you enjoy doing too, my friend got me obsessed with skipping, now you can find me out on the balcony jumping rope for hours.

Buy a bike, take your dog (or steal a friends for few hours) for a walk. Good for you and the dog!

Swimming is so good too, i'm actually a lifeguard, so I get forced to do it every week but you notice a huge difference even if you don't feel like you're doing much. I watch people aquajogging and stuff every day too and some of these people are ancient but super healthy and in good shape, so it obviously works!

As soon as you can see a difference in yourself you will get super motivated!

I'm 196 cm tall and 79 kg. :o

:nilly:

I'm 165 I believe. Too short! Pretty gutted to learn I was 5'4" when i'd being telling everyone I was at least 5'6" for years haha!

I have something to add:

If you want to lose weight and even enjoy losing it and then be able to keep it off, I found that only when my motivation was fixed could I succeed. I looked in the mirror and didn't like what I saw so I started doing all the usual things. But it was difficult and slow and always a chore. I did OK but it was just always blahhhh. Later I tried again and this time I had the angle of 'this is what I do to take care of myself'. Instead of the motivation being negative or fear-based, when it became positive and about loving myself or looking after myself everything changed. I have lost the weight I wanted to lose and I don't need to lose anymore, but I remember how it was to be heavy and my body just functioned in a crappy way. Aches and pains, slow digestion, no energy till late in the day etc.

I think a lot of women have self esteem issues and if you look in the mirror and think ugh and then get on the bike that isn't positive and loving to yourself and it's like stabbing yourself in the foot - it isn't positive reinforcement. You do have to admit there is something to be done, obviously, but instead of pedalling away thinking of yourself in the future as some marvellous being, think of yourself as OK now and that now you are taking care of yourself. Don't do it for your kids or for your husband, do it for yourself. Do it to have energy and to try some new clothes and to treat your body in the way you should, at least as well as you treat your fish.

Men seem to need fear to motivate them, I work with a lot of middle aged and older men and most of them will only do something about their puku when the doctor tells them they have diabetes or a heart problem. There must be a better way for men to get their positive motivation going.

And no matter what, if you eat only toast and tea or coffee for breakfast , you can wave goodbye to feeling alive until after lunch. You wouldn't feed your fish the cheapest crappiest food and expect them to be active and colourful, so you should also feed yourself nutritiously. I have a thing about good breakfasts!

Last comment, I found a lot of good foods that work for me in the Blood Type diet. Since following those principles my weight has been very stable. My type needs no wheat (but I do eat puddingy treats on weekends) and lots of small portions of red meat and fish protein (and sometimes those foods are too expensive). But I do recommend trying it out. But again, you have to see losing weight/doing exercise as looking after yourself and being good to yourself and not a punishment.

• 2 weeks later...

Soup! Great in winter and helps fill you up. Have as a snack or a starter before the main course.

Do not choose creamy varieties. Pumpkins are cheap at the moment and making your own pumpkin soup is quick and easy :wink:

Vegetable soup is another low calorie option, as is mushroom if you don't make it creamy.

I got some help with my gym program from a really experienced guy and found out that all the exercises they gym gave me weren't suited for me and that I needed to build base strength before I started doing heaps of isolation exercises :facepalm: :lol:

The guy who gave me the program said you need to mix up what you do otherwise you get bored with it. Change your walking or cycling route, mix up your diet etc otherwise you get bored and don't push yourself and the results don't come as quickly (or something like that)

I got down to 94 then decided to do the rest with lots of walking and cycling on my exercise bike, Hubby said we would go on day hikes a lot. I need food, gosh my diet had me hungry all day long, atleast I went form a size 18 down to a 14 so I am comfy now with a size clothes that is readily available. The rest will have to come off nice and easy over time :slfg: