The What's Up? thread.

SamH

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Grant was approached by a couple when he had the Chrysler down at Heritage Day at Brayshaw Heritage Park. They asked if he and his car were for hire as they wanted to take friends on a surprise vintage picnic in March.

Today is the day and he has headed off, dressed up, to play chauffeur. He picks the people up then drops them off at their destination (they have no idea where they are going or what to expect). He then goes back at 5pm to pick them all up again.

GrantwithChryslerMarch2013_zps8e3dd403.jpg

Waiting for the Aratere to sail. We had been given a complimentary ticket to the fancy private area so only had to pay extra for one of us. Thought we would try it out. Very posh. Quiet, no screaming kids, roomier loos, a private deck, free food and drink, a concierge ready to help when needed, and free internet access (only 100Mb but we have a T stick and Vodem as well) :dnc1:

Worth the $30 for the nicer toilets alone I reckon :thup:

Left the house full of kids and dogs. The dogs were bringing in wet grass and leaves that were stuck to their fur so the kids had better vacuum before we get home as the house was nice and clean before they arrived!

(I say "kids" but they are both 30 :bggrn: )

Lucky you Caryl! :D

I'm having scrambled eggs on toast before I spend the better part of today moving all my fish (neons, platys, guppies, various fry, fighters and GBA) from my 4ft into my AA tank. I hate catching fish :nilly:

what's happening?

I'm really fussy (if you didn't already know) about the placement of equipment in my tanks. The current bracing on the tank is not suitable for my needs so I'm getting it professionally rebraced to suit my needs 8)

I'm really fussy (if you didn't already know) about the placement of equipment in my tanks. The current bracing on the tank is not suitable for my needs so I'm getting it professionally rebraced to suit my needs 8)

if you upskill on DIY everything can suit your needs

if you upskill on DIY everything can suit your needs

1200x400x400 in 6mm, I'm not too confident and can't cut glass to save myself so off for a professional job. Plus it's in the lounge so it has to look perfect :roll:

got a new WOF on my truck. got caught by a friendly 'guardian of the law' who pleased me with a $200 ticket for not having a current WOF (the ticket has had a 2 week bonus, if I get a WOF in this time the ticket will be swiped). have had to find a new WOF place for my truck. went to a place in Ranfurly (my fault, I didn't see the MTA sign outside) and got stung (at least that was what they tried to do) the tail lights on my truck are clear (some after market lights) and they told me I have to replace them as the red brake light isn't pure red. (wasn't an issue for many warrants up in Rotorua) they also told me not to buy cheap Taiwanese after market lights as the sun's UV does bleach every low cost light down here in Central Otago. just out of curiosity I did ask if they can supply some then. yes we have a wrecker who can supply them, 2nd hand original Toyota lights for $105.95 each including GST. thank you but no thank you. further problems were the front disc pads and the lower ball joints plus a nail in one of the tires. their offer to fix that was easy and fast calculated on the shop owners left palm with the help of a pen. all in all $635 plus the warrant $60 thank you. including GST ? yes including GST. how long will it take to fix ? it's done in 3 hours. let me sum that all up, $105.95 for the lights each, $211.90 plus $635, a whooping $846.90 in total. told them I will let them know... (actually they did fix the nail for $30 on the spot, so that was done)

went home, started my computer, looked on TradeMe and got two original tail lights for $25 each plus shipping ($70 in total) and found the needed parts on the Repco website for $209.10. a mate came up from Dunedin and he brought me the parts. it was a bit of a challenge to replace the lower ball joints (as they were in there from the time the truck was built in Japan and that was 18 years ago) but with the help of our local mechanic here in Naseby (no, he does no WOFs), actually with the help of his balljoint fork the repair was done in time to get a warrant before the ticket has had to be paid. got the warrant (they did not ask who fixed it but I did ask to use their recycle bin to put the old parts in, hint). learned a lot about my truck and saved a whole heap of money by doing the repair on my own in the back yard...